Three Questions

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Minyan Man

Re: Three Questions

Post by Minyan Man »

Heber13 wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 23:17 Maybe that was a big part of my transition was letting go of life needing to be a certain way, and just rolling with what it was, not making it fit into how I thought it should be.
That is an excellent point Heber13.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Heber13 wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 23:17 Maybe that was a big part of my transition was letting go of life needing to be a certain way, and just rolling with what it was, not making it fit into how I thought it should be.
My daughter has a little framed quote thing on her wall that I love.
Now that you don't have to be perfect you can be good.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

Yes, I know who I am - and what I don't know I intentionally choose to accept and structure according to what I want my faith to be.

Yes, I understand what happened to me - as well as over 40 years of thinking about it (since my teenage years) can bring understanding.

Yes, I want to continue living like I am - since I am living with the intent to keep changing.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Initially when the three questions were posted I wanted to take time to ponder them and then I went on vacation and then back to work so my answers are a bit late. I have enjoyed and benefitted from the answers of others.

Do you know who you are?
Yes, I think so. I'm "middle aged" so I should be starting to get a handle on that by now. 8-) And I'm pretty comfortable with who I am.

Do you understand what happened to you?
In retrospect I do and I'm OK with it. And in some ways it's still happening, which is also OK. Just part of the journey.

Do you want to continue living this way?
I'm good with it.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 »

DarkJedi wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 04:56
My daughter has a little framed quote thing on her wall that I love.
Now that you don't have to be perfect you can be good.
I like that quote.

Perfection is good to strive for, to push for the best results you want to get, bit it is unattainable. I guess we have to decide what is "good enough" for me and my situation.

Only I can decide that.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

In Matthew, "perfect" means "whole, complete, fully-developed" - not mistake free.

That alone changes everything in important ways, since it allows for mistakes / sins and makes the goal pure repentance (nothing more than continued effort to change).
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Groovetta

Post by Groovetta »

Old-Timer wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 02:44 In Matthew, "perfect" means "whole, complete, fully-developed" - not mistake free.

That alone changes everything in important ways, since it allows for mistakes / sins and makes the goal pure repentance (nothing more than continued effort to change).

I’m late to the party as they say. I was pondering these scriptures this week and stumbled upon the discussion board and this post right afterwards. I thought I’d share the following:

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.— KJV

Hebrews 10:14
For one offering he has perfected in perpetuity the sanctified.—Greek Interlinear

Hebrews 10:10
By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.— KJV
Roy

Post by Roy »

Thank you Groovetta,
It reminds me of a quote I read. "Mercy is when you don't get the punishment you deserve. Grace is when you receive the reward you don't deserve." We have a Gospel of Good News and that news is that grace of Jesus Christ is extended towards all. Hallelujah.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Groovetta

Post by Groovetta »

Roy wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 18:33 Thank you Groovetta,
It reminds me of a quote I read. "Mercy is when you don't get the punishment you deserve. Grace is when you receive the reward you don't deserve." We have a Gospel of Good News and that news is that grace of Jesus Christ is extended towards all. Hallelujah.
God is certainly merciful and gracious to us.