Rape vs Virtue

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Roy

Re: Rape vs Virtue

Post by Roy »

It is perfectly fine to evaluate our own stupidity and fault for our own negative circumstances and events. It is somewhat more dangerous to evaluate the "stupidity" and "fault" of others. Far too often, humans tend to justify that those that are suffering more or less deserve their circumstances. We make snap judgments and aspersions on others with only a tiny fraction of the "big picture."

This is especially true in situations of rape and/or murder. No victim ever asks for that. No victim ever has that coming. No victim ever is to blame or at fault or even partly responsible for being attacked by another. Those that survive these types of situation quite often wrongly place blame upon themselves for being vulnerable.

To anyone reading these words that has lived through something similar, you are not at fault... not even a tiny bit.

Moderator Hat: I believe that this thread has run its useful and healthy course. Even with the best of intentions, I find it difficult for a group of men to have a enlightening conversation on the topic when each of us have obvious limitations in perspective and experience. In addition, I feel that this discussion is in danger of detracting from the mission of StayLDS. I am locking the thread for these reasons.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13