How long to pay tithing before recommend

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Daeruin

How long to pay tithing before recommend

Post by Daeruin » 04 Oct 2014, 22:17

I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with how long a bishop would make you pay tithing again before getting a temple recommend. Is there a standard length of time? What kind of variation have people experienced?
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

DarkJedi

Re: How long to pay tithing before recommend

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Oct 2014, 05:18

As far as I am aware there is nothing in the handbook about this, so it's going to be a matter of leadership roulette. In my own mind if I paid what I consider to be a full tithe on one paycheck or for one month or whatever (with the intent to continue doing so, of course), then I am a full tithe payer. There is no such thing as "catching up" on tithing, repentance doesn't work that way.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

MockingJay

Post by MockingJay » 05 Oct 2014, 05:58

I agree with DJ. DH and I didn't pay tithing for a while once, and then decided to pay it again. The bishop told us to start there and go forward. He gave us recommends with no problem.

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 05 Oct 2014, 14:56

In our ward it is 3 months. Not sure if it comes from the stake or not. There isn't back pay...3 months from visiting with the Bishop.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 15:50

Whatever the Bishop says, which is good and/or bad, depending on the individual situation.

I understand those who impose a proving time period, but I hope I would take an individual approach if I ever was in a position to make that call. I certainly do NOT believe AT ALL in having to pay on previous income.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Oct 2014, 07:16

It probably should be noted here, too, that the question is "Are you a full tithe payer?" I once recall my bishop saying that whenever he asks that question whether it is in a TR interview or in tithing settlement that he does not look at the tithing statement at all (and in fact doesn't have one in a TR interview), but that he accepts the answer given because it is a matter between the individual and God. He was making a bigger point in that the interview is an opportunity to evaluate one's own standing in relationship to God. He did actually say that he didn't care if you lied to him because in reality you were only lying to yourself and God (and you can't lie to God). I'm sure that not all bishops share that perspective, but I do appreciate that this one does and talks about it.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

meggle

Post by meggle » 07 Oct 2014, 08:48

Been working through this same thing in my mind! I've decided that one payment (like DJ said, with the intent to continue), that's enough. Now I'm trying to work out the "intent to continue" part. I'm struggling to do this in the right spirit- in a spirit of sacrifice and gratitude rather than just paying the price of admission. Gah! Never thought I'd feel this way!!! Tithing used to be a no-brainer for me! :crazy:

Let me throw this out there- should we feel obligated to disclose that we haven't been paying?

Roy

Post by Roy » 07 Oct 2014, 10:09

The TR questions are structured in a format where yes/no answers will suffice.

I recommend answering yes/no/ or earnestly trying.

My own bishop mentioned that sometimes people try to pay tithing for a brief period to go to a wedding/sealing or such and that it may not work out as planned. The bishop may make you prove your sincerity or something else may go wrong. Better to get the tithing question settled long before such events.

Since my kids are 8 and 6 this seemed a little premature. I also didn't appreciate that he seemed to be using attendance at a family milestone event as a carrot for compliance. But no biggie. He didn't press.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 07 Oct 2014, 19:47

Many moons ago, I attended a Ward as a non-tithe payer. The people were excellent at execution, though, and the quality of the lessons, the quality of the programs, and the quality of the people ignited this desire in me to become a full tithe payer and TR-holder.

I paid my tithing one week, and then two weeks layer my Bishop called me in and said "there is something I would like you to do,but you need that temple recommend". I told him the only thing that was keeping me from holding a TR was tithing, and I started paying it again two weeks ago. He looked really surprised, and then had me called into the Bishopric. This was in April of the year. He gave me a Temple Recommend a few weeks later.

The interesting part of this, was the end of the year tithing settlement. He asked me if the amount I paid on my slip represented 10%. I said "Yes, from the time I started paying it this year, it is a full 10%". I guess he didn't like that answer, so he asked again "But does it represent 10%?". I said, yes, from the time I started paying it. it was like he didn't know where to go with the conversation at this point. His eyes looked like he was tryhing to multiply 14362345 X 9685747 in his head.

He looked uncomfortable, dropped the issue, and never asked for my TR. I guess reason took over -- I had started paying it, was active, was serving. I had arrived again.

I felt that the person who starts paying tithing, and gets into full activity should start paying from the time they make the commitment to do it. A bit more than your question asked for, but that was my experience.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 07 Oct 2014, 20:38

I am really torn about starting to pay tithing again. I have reasons to do it. I also have reasons not to do it—I believe in self-sufficiency, and my family is barely getting along financially. And honestly, it's really, REALLY tough to see that much money flowing out of my account again. Tougher than I thought it would be. Even if we didn't need to save up money for the birth of our baby in December, buying an 8-seater minivan to fit our new family size, finally fixing the holes in our ceiling from the plumbing repair we had to make last year, and more—paying tithing will seriously set back our long term financial goal to follow the church's advice to get out of debt and finally start saving for retirement. I don't want this to be a budget discussion, but I just wanted to give a brief idea of how paying tithing will impact my family.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien