Initiation into spirituality

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
DarkJedi

Re: Initiation into spirituality

Post by DarkJedi »

I pretty much agree that we all need to have our own spiritual "Joseph Smith First Vision" experience. Not that we all need to have a vision, but I think we all need to have some sort of epiphany regarding our own faith, spiritual course, and relationship with God. I think the problem is that our individual initiations into spirituality don't necessarily always fit the church narrative about what it should be (and that's probably true outside of Mormonism as well).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
AmyJ

Re: Initiation into spirituality

Post by AmyJ »

DarkJedi wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 08:09 I pretty much agree that we all need to have our own spiritual "Joseph Smith First Vision" experience. Not that we all need to have a vision, but I think we all need to have some sort of epiphany regarding our own faith, spiritual course, and relationship with God.
I agree. I also think that it's not a "just-once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity:)
DarkJedi wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 08:09 I think the problem is that our individual initiations into spirituality don't necessarily always fit the church narrative about what it should be (and that's probably true outside of Mormonism as well).
I think part of the problem by "generating the narrative" is assigning a specific meaning to a series of actions.