The Feeling Good Handbook

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
SilentDawning

The Feeling Good Handbook

Post by SilentDawning »

I started reading this book by Dr. David Burns -- the Feeling Good Handbook:

https://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-Han ... C94&sr=8-2

It had a lot of good, practical exercises for how to assess and refute thinking that tends to stop you from "feeling good". The problem was that it was far too verbose, totaling a whopping 768 pages. Far too much for me to get through. It contains a lot of good worksheets you can use to analyze and refuse negative thinking, and identifies a number of distortions in our thinking that lead to "not feeling good".

I then bought the summary of the book which was a better read, but it lacked all the worksheets and hands-on activities:

https://www.amazon.com/Summary-Feeling- ... C87&sr=8-1

There are other summaries of the 768 page version of the book out there there which I am perusing, hoping to find the right balance between verbosity, readability and hands-on exercises.

I recommend it for anyone who struggles with anxiety, depression, or dysfunctional thinking -- if you can get through the 768 pages.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young
Roy

Re: The Feeling Good Handbook

Post by Roy »

Self talk can either be a headwind or a tailwind. I do not think that it is 100% changeable, but even if it is only 10% changeable that might make a large difference for the individual.

Roy
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
SilentDawning

Re: The Feeling Good Handbook

Post by SilentDawning »

I have found the EMDR therapy actually works very well at changing self-talk. It's amazing how the influence of bilateral stimulation preprograms your thinking/self-talk about issues that formerly bothered you. I have used it on about 10 different upsetting factors in my life, and it's like the EMDR process puts the anxiety/unsettling situation to bed. It's like you've dealt with it and would rather not dredge it up again. If it does come up again, you have a host of productive, constructive thoughts to level against the upsetting situation to put it back to bed again.

And if it comes back strongly again, you can always do EMDR therapy again to put it back to bed again. I haven't yet had a relapse, although there is one situation in my life I think I'm going to have to re, re-program again.

But learning to think differently has a huge impact on a person's mental health. I think that is why David Burn's book has been so successful and helpful to so many people. I just wish it was shorter, or that there was a workbook with all the exercises with only minimal explanation!!! You really don't need 700 pages to explain everything he said.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young