What spiritually inspires & comforts you?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Minyan Man

What spiritually inspires & comforts you?

Post by Minyan Man »

I'm curious what other members of the board finds inspiring. What draws you closest to Jesus Christ & his teachings?
It can be doctrinal from the scriptures, talks at church, general conference & books or interviews.
It can be personal talks or experiences with friends or family.

Maybe it's the phase of my life I'm in. I'm 77 yrs old & I see the end coming (fast). I need all the information I can get.

Most recently, I've been inspired scripturally by:
1. The parables. I like them because they are short stories that deal with the basic principles of our Christian faith. And, in many cases, Jesus
explains what He is teaching. In some cases, He leaves it up to us. They are found in the OT, NT, BOM. They are found in conference talks & books written by the general authorities & others outside the LDS church.

2. The Last Supper. I've just started studying this topic & reading what others are saying about it.

I will try to add more later.
PazamaManX

Re: What spiritually inspires & comforts you?

Post by PazamaManX »

Lately, I'm finding the parts of the scriptures that have Christ himself are the most uplifting for me. So the four gospels and 3rd Nephi mostly.

I also like trying to learn more context around the stories. I think a lot of stuff gets missed when reading only the scriptures, whether it's an odd bit of translation, a custom of the time being the reason behind something, or just something that the text doesn't mention. The widow of Nain is an example of a story that gains so much more meaning when understanding the geography of the area and how women without a man to care for them typically fared at the time.

Another thing I find enjoyable is the occasional church book (I've considered making it a regular thing to skip fast and testimony meeting to instead spend the time with a good book). The latest I've really enjoyed is Stephen E. Robinson's 'Believing Christ'. My next read will be 'Following Christ'.
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness, even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

I get some inspiration from the words of Jesus Christ, specifically in the four gospels. I also like to read other translations of the Bible. I am partial to the New Revised Standard Version and enjoy the Oxford Annotated Bible as well as Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible. The LDS church's view of things is not the only view.

I find meaning in the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper but more so in the way some other Christians do it. I am a former nominal Catholic, but when they do Communion the connection to the New Testament account is very clear (including quoted).

I find some inspiration in music, including some of our hymns, hymns of other churches, and other Christian music. I'm OK with some modern Christian music but not when it's too rock oriented (I do like rock, just not when it has Christian lyrics).

As PanamaManX mentioned I find inspiration in some writers, including Robinson's Believing Christ, some of Richard Bushman's stuff and talks (he did more than Rough Stone Rolling) and many of the writing of Terryl & Fiona Givens (and Terryl by himself).

And I find beauty and serenity in nature.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

I had an inspiring conversation at church today. It was a complete surprise.
I'm not going to gives a lot of specifics regarding where it happened & who was involved.
I was sitting in the hall with a few other members. We were having the normal chit chat.
Then it was just the two of us. He has a child who is physically & mentally challenged.
He will always be in a wheelchair. The Father said that from the outside, his son, who is 3 yrs old,
seems so angelic. He can't speak but has the most angelic smile. My friend explained that getting
him to church has been a real challenge. The little boy screams all the time getting ready and
going to church. It never seems to get better. When they are at church, the
son seems so calm, friendly and angelic.

My point is: there are members of my ward that seem to be living very full, spiritual lives.
Their lives are more challenging than what I've experienced. I told him my story & why we
were inactive for many years.

Our conversation was better than listening to a sacrament talk. I'm glad we went today.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

Service

People who overcome great difficulties

Love

Children

Music
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Watcher

Post by Watcher »

Old-Timer wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 20:26 Service

People who overcome great difficulties

Love

Children

Music
I really like your answers.

However, for me, I am most inspired by those that are kind towards others when no one is expecting it.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

Amen, Watcher.

I have had more than one job where I have seen cases of this that would shock many (most?) people. It is inspiring.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Roy

Post by Roy »

I feel a significant amount of pressure to perform well in work, life, and setting my children up for success.

I am spiritually inspired and comforted by the idea that none of those things really matter to my Heavenly Parents. In the end we will be welcomed home and all earthly status will be washed away by a sea of love and belonging.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
PazamaManX

Post by PazamaManX »

Roy wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 09:14 I am spiritually inspired and comforted by the idea that none of those things really matter to my Heavenly Parents. In the end we will be welcomed home and all earthly status will be washed away by a sea of love and belonging.
That is probably the most inspiring and comforting thought for me. It puts things into perspective. Life becomes less important, but more meaningful.
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness, even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson