Blessings contingent upon others

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
LDS_Scoutmaster

Re: Blessings contingent upon others

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster »

Minyan Man wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 19:46 Under this topic, wouldn't forgiveness & empathy & compassion be blessings contingent upon others?
Or, am I missing the point?
It wouldn't be the first time.
I don't think you're missing the point. I think I'm leaning towards the only way god bless us is through others, not that he can't, but that's just how it is.
It's been a difficult couple of months. After my sister's funeral I prepared some thank you cards for some of those that volunteered during the service, a good sister in the ward spent the entire time preparing and serving food, she went above and beyond. In the past I my have thanked her, said a prayer asking for blessings for her service. I think now that is a cheap way if not actually doing something for someone. I wrote the cards, got some items and dropped them off on their doorsteps. I guess I'm saying rather than just hoping they are blessed for their service I tried my best to bless them with action as well. I don't want to equate my efforts in comparison to the creator. My attempts seem feeble as I felt my efforts paled in comparison to their sacrifice.
I'm still evolving my thoughts on this.
Roy wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 15:16 The word "blessings" can mean many things.

I believe in the context of the OP it was referring to promises made on behalf of God, by a priesthood holder to a person in need while the priesthood holder has his hands upon their head. Can those blessings (meaning the realization of those promises) be withheld based on the "priesthood power" of the priesthood holder?

I think if we expand the definition of "blessings" to refer to good deeds that people can perform for each other then the discussion changes dramatically.
Yes, my original thoughts were specifically in giving priesthood blessings. I think it's expanded since then to include every blessing. I'm not sure where the god who is concerned with every little thing in our lives is, and whether he will come back into my psyche or not.
DarkJedi wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 05:22
3. A flat is just a flat, many people all over the world get them every day.
I also lean towards 3, but hope that if there was something major, god would intervene.

If I lose my keys, will he intervene and tell me where they are? Or when a flash comes into my mind where they might be is it because he created me and give me a subconscious that will guide me and remind me. And if so he created me unorganized enough to lose my keys in the first place :)
AmyJ wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 11:04 ...Thankfully, I have a friend from my mission days who I am close enough that it while it was unusual, it wasn't an uncomfortable burden (for either of us - I checked) to ask her to be there and she also understood. She respectfully supported me in "saying goodbye" on some level to a connection to the church.
I've had a few things I've separated with the church over the years, for me there is a bittersweet feeling of longing for the way some things used to be and the realization that those things can never be the same even if I tried. It's good you have a friend who will support you. Peace to you.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.
Roy

Post by Roy »

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 10:17 there is a bittersweet feeling of longing for the way some things used to be and the realization that those things can never be the same even if I tried.
My 14 year old DS and I read the book Hatchet. In the epilogue, it describes how the changes that Brian underwent during his 2 month experience in the wilderness were permanent and changed his manner and the way that he interacted with the world. My son asked me if such changes are always permanent. I told him that I think that they are. Most experiences contribute small and incremental changes, sometimes there is a large, impactful and transformative experience - but regardless of whether the experience is big or small, there is the person that we were before and the person that we are after.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster »

one of my children read hatchet, it was one of her favorite books. It's hard to say whether I believe those changes are permanent, or that some just have a very long lasting effect.
One of my sisters passed away when I was a teenager, another just recently. The first changed me in a profound way, I ended up joining the church shortly after. This time it has affected me profoundly in other ways, I feel that God is less concerned about the small things and I worried too much about the small things.
I don't think this transition will take me out of the church, I see no need to abandon it. But I also feel that my need for the church regarding my salvation is much more determined by myself than the church organization and even ordinances.

I think I am different than I was last year.

.. And all those things that seemed so important, well mister they vanish right into the air..." Bruce Springsteen
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.