A Former Bishop Excommunicated

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Minyan Man

A Former Bishop Excommunicated

Post by Minyan Man »

The topic for which this former Bishop was excommunicated has been raised on this site before.
It deals with the topic of ward Bishop asking questions of our youth in a closed door interview without parents.
I think I would have a difficult time dealing with it to if my children were young again.
I don't know if I would make my displeasure as open & vocal has he has.
But, if you have no other recourse, what do you do?
I do believe he has a point to make.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local ... -595697209
Roy

Re: A Former Bishop Excommunicated

Post by Roy »

Yes. I know some people personally that marched with Sam.

I think Sam's efforts helped to change the policy. Now parents are allowed to remain in the room. Since the change, I always ask my children if they would like a parent to stay and they have always elected for one of us to remain.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

It would be interesting to know if he returned to church again.
Or, if he has taken another "path".

Everyone's journey is interesting to me.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

He seems to have fallen out of the limelight since his excommunication. It seems as though were he to have rejoined the church there would be some note of it somewhere, if only on his own blog (which has been inactive since Feb. 2020). COVID probably put a damper on some of his activities but like Ordain Women, things like this tend to fall off the radar after a time.

As Roy said, I think he did get a win in that policies were changed to allow parents/an adult be present during interviews. I think Sam wanted more, namely eliminating the question(s) all together. I don't disagree with eliminating questions about sex for youngsters but I also liked the progress that was made. Since all of my children were beyond the age at the time of the change I don't have skin in the game any more until I have grandchildren that age (and I currently have no grandchildren).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Roy

Post by Roy »

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/11 ... ishop-sam/
https://www.deseret.com/2018/8/30/20652 ... day-saints

Sam Young appealed his excommunication as he was instructed that he could do. He lost his appeal.

I find it interesting that he was told verbally that his appeal was denied without any explanation or written follow-up. Seems really unprofessional to me. I handle some work related appeals at my job. I respond in writing the results of the appeal and the reasoning that the appeal is based upon. Then we send it certified mail so that we have a record that the individual received the appeal decision. I am just used to more transparency.
Minyan Man wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 08:53 It would be interesting to know if he returned to church again.
Or, if he has taken another "path".

Everyone's journey is interesting to me.
I think it would be unusual for someone like Sam to return. I think he would have to have a change of heart, express remorse, and jump through hoops to manifest that he was wrong before and the church had been right all along.
It also near the end did not sound like Sam would have wanted to rejoin. He is quoted as having called the church "the most extreme, unsafe church in America," said "I would not join the church today" and encouraged others not to join.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

Roy wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 11:55 I find it interesting that he was told verbally that his appeal was denied without any explanation or written follow-up. Seems really unprofessional to me.
You reminded me of a scene from the movie Tommy Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1CVQ38bn64&t=46s

Tommy: I'd like to not be excommunicated.
Leader: Nope. You're excommunicated now.
Tommy: I'd like to appeal my excommunication.
Leader: Let me check.<same breath> Nope.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright