Women and Priesthood

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
mormonheretic
Site Admin

Re: Women and Priesthood

Post by mormonheretic » 30 Jan 2021, 23:53

Yes, that is true. Pretty much from their founding, they have had deaconnesses who also administered sacrament to women who couldn't come to church. They have had deaconnesses since the 1850s-60s and used the Bible to justify the practice. Historian Daniel Stone is a member of their church and discusses it: https://gospeltangents.com/2018/09/22/b ... ain-women/

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 Feb 2021, 14:36

Fascinating! There is so much about the various branches of Mormonism that I do not know. Thanks for sharing this.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 04 Feb 2021, 03:43

Roy wrote:
01 Feb 2021, 14:36
Fascinating! There is so much about the various branches of Mormonism that I do not know. Thanks for sharing this.
Agreed. And I think we're sometimes programmed to think that outside RLDS/CoC they are extreme. Not the case at all.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Feb 2021, 08:18

SamBee wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 03:43
Roy wrote:
Agreed. And I think we're sometimes programmed to think that outside RLDS/CoC they are extreme. Not the case at all.
I think most members even think the Community of Christ is extreme/radical, especially with their changes in recent years to be more mainstream Christian. Other than the denial of Joseph Smith's polygamy, I find the teachings/beliefs of the CoC to often be more in line with my own. There is a congregation about 30 miles from where I live and I have considered visiting.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Feb 2021, 09:57

I visited a CoC congregation during my mini-vacations in other religions phase. It just so happened that the stars aligned and I ended up attending on the first Sunday of the month, which is when they pass the sacrament.

That Sunday a woman gave the familiar sacrament prayer. It was surreal but a very spiritual moment for me.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 05 Feb 2021, 14:46

DarkJedi wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 08:18
SamBee wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 03:43
Roy wrote:
I think most members even think the Community of Christ is extreme/radical, especially with their changes in recent years to be more mainstream Christian. Other than the denial of Joseph Smith's polygamy, I find the teachings/beliefs of the CoC to often be more in line with my own. There is a congregation about 30 miles from where I live and I have considered visiting.
We have no CoC here but when they are mentioned at all it is when they are said to have no authority or to be too liberal...

But they aren't boogeymen like FLDS etc.

I would have to travel hundreds of miles to get to a congregation.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

mormonheretic
Site Admin

Post by mormonheretic » 06 Feb 2021, 18:59

John Hamer broadcasts his services from Toronto every Sunday on Facebook.