Tithing Settlement during the pandemic

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
DarkJedi

Re: Tithing Settlement during the pandemic

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Dec 2020, 05:58

We did get an email yesterday from the bishop regarding tithing settlement. He said he'd love to meet with people virtually or by phone although he'd do in person as well if they wanted (big risk IMO). But he also offered the out of just replying or texting that you are a full tithe payer. Not hard to guess what I did.
You can check the box that we are full tithe payers. For what it's worth I think tithing settlement is antiquated and a waste of time and should be eliminated.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 12 Dec 2020, 10:38

I just sent my Bishop an email explaining that we will not be doing the "virtual" tithing settlement this year.
I also said that we consider ourselves to be "full tithe" payers. And, if he had further questions, please call us.
I've always disliked this process. It almost feels like an IRS audit where I have to justify myself for the
contributions I freely make to the church. I fully understand that God does not operate that way. But, I
still do not like the process.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Dec 2020, 06:54

Minyan Man wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 10:38
I just sent my Bishop an email explaining that we will not be doing the "virtual" tithing settlement this year.
I also said that we consider ourselves to be "full tithe" payers. And, if he had further questions, please call us.
I've always disliked this process. It almost feels like an IRS audit where I have to justify myself for the
contributions I freely make to the church. I fully understand that God does not operate that way. But, I
still do not like the process.
Did you get a response? Mine said "OK, thanks." 8-)

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 13 Dec 2020, 08:42

DarkJedi wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 06:54
Did you get a response? Mine said "OK, thanks." 8-)
Yes I did. He answered within the hour. He said:
Thank you for your note. I'll mark you down as Full Tithe payers. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
I wish the whole process could be improved in some way. Covid or no Covid. To me it should be a time to get to know each other better.
Instead it turns into "the bums rush". Keep it moving. Nothing to see here. Kind of thing. As a church we really do not know each other
very well. We think we do but, we really don't.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Dec 2020, 10:17

I agree I don't think we do know each other very well, and going along with another thread I think we just often make assumptions about each other's beliefs, etc. I'm not really opposed to meeting with the bishop for "get to know you" but on the other hand that doesn't seem to be the current emphasis on what the bishop is supposed to do (unless you're a youth). Maybe EQ or RS would take that role since they seem to be more "in charge" of our spiritual welfare (although I think we're all in charge of our own and most of it is none of anybody else's business). I suppose ministering could also fill that role, but it's limitation is that it's individuals knowing individuals (some of whom you might not even like).

Also, is tithing settlement the right forum for that? I have heard bishops in the past say that's why they like tithing settlement because for many families that's the only time he talks with them in a year. At the same time, it's kind of an interrogation and while I have never been in the position to say I'm not a full tithe payer (in tithing settlement) I think the follow up to that is some sort of guilting encouragement to do "better." I think if the purpose is for bishops to get to know people it should be a different mechanism.

My Introduction

mormonheretic
Site Admin

Post by mormonheretic » 06 Feb 2021, 19:04

I have been paying my tithing online for probably a decade, even before the Church embraced it. When I went to tithing settlement this year, my bishop was a bit perplexed because the old method does not show up on his records. He was a little stunned (he is a fairly new bishop) that I declared full tithe payer despite his records showing $0. So that is one purpose, but the Community of Christ embraces the old-style definition of bishop as in charge of finances. Here in Utah, Carla Long is a bishop over several congregations and is in charge of financial affairs. I don't know if she does tithing settlement with her people--I doubt it because doing it for several congregations would be much more difficult, but it would be interesting to ask her.