April 2020 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: April 2020 General Conference

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 10:53

nibbler wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 10:50
I lost the pulse of this talk but I did not like one part where Eyring said (paraphrased off memory) that Joseph knew he had to find the true church to gain forgiveness. Forgiveness does not come from a church.
Yes, Joseph mentions in the other accounts that he was forgiven then and there.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 10:59

What Eyring said implies that we (you and me) need a true church in order to obtain forgiveness. I'll have to go back and read it when transcripts come out to see what was actually said but I'll leave it at, "I don't care for that message."
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Apr 2020, 11:10

need a true church in order to obtain forgiveness.
Ouch. I didn't listen. I am focused elsewhere. I guess I miss out.

I wonder if you can get bonus punches from previous dedication? Like a free coffee from Starbucks or Big Mac from McDonalds.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 13:11

nibbler wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 10:59
What Eyring said implies that we (you and me) need a true church in order to obtain forgiveness. I'll have to go back and read it when transcripts come out to see what was actually said but I'll leave it at, "I don't care for that message."
That's my take on what he said as well.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 13:32

Elder Soares on the coming forth of the BoM. A basic rehash and testimony.

(And I'm sorry, I chuckle every time he says moron-i. :evil: )

My Introduction

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 04 Apr 2020, 13:39

Martin Harris should not covet his own property, is that what of heard?

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 13:53

Kipper wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 13:39
Martin Harris should not covet his own property, is that what of heard?
That's what I heard.

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 13:57

Thank you Bishop Causse for bringing a focus on the Savior into the meeting. Best talk of the day so far IMO. His talk is about how the BoM testifies of Jesus Christ. It's much more about Christ than the BoM.

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 14:06

Yeah, we're only 30% into conference, but I got a vibe that may explain the theme of conference.

April 2020 conference is like a 10 hour missionary discussion.

I'm sure leaders decided to take advantage of the 200th anniversary of the first vision and all, but all the messages feel like things that missionaries would teach investigators during discussions.

Maybe I'm way off but usually conference feels much more insular, talks by Mormons for Mormons. This go-round I get the feeling that it's some combo of:

1) Giving the world the missionary discussions. Maybe leaders thought that more non-member eyes would be on this conference.
2) Giving members a refresher on the very basics of the church. Maybe leaders feel people are leaving the church because they don't have a strong enough testimony or knowledge in these things that they are covering.

It's also interesting that thus-far the planned theme of the restoration wasn't set aside in favor of addressing more recent current events.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 04 Apr 2020, 14:28

Liked the story of the grandfather and grandson sharing the heart (paraphrasing of course). I like real-world stories. I know sometimes they are embellished a little but what isn't?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.