April 2020 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: April 2020 General Conference

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 09:58

Joy D. Jones

Women's role in the restoration. This one is a tough one for me to comment on, I'm not a woman, but it sounds like one role is being a witness of things other people did. Another goal is to progress and receive revelation.

I haven't figured out the tangle that women have access to the power of the priesthood and how that addresses what many see as an inequality in that women can't be ordained to an office in the priesthood.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

desertghost93

Post by desertghost93 » 04 Apr 2020, 10:05

nibbler wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 09:58
Joy D. Jones

Women's role in the restoration. This one is a tough one for me to comment on, I'm not a woman, but it sounds like one role is being a witness of things other people did. Another goal is to progress and receive revelation.

I haven't figured out the tangle that women have access to the power of the priesthood and how that addresses what many see as an inequality in that women can't be ordained to an office in the priesthood.
I share the same sentiment as you
You can’t base your knowledge of a church off-broadway plays and the media, or even comments from church members because there are millions of them and they are all different and have different opinions, just like everybody else in this world.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 10:07

Note to Elder Anderson: Joseph Smith rarely talked about the First Vision and most early members were unaware of it. This is well known.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 10:14

Neil L. Andersen

After you wade through the tributes to Joseph Smith and Russell Nelson it becomes a talk about spiritually defining moments. "I knew that god knew that I knew."

Happy Easter.
— Hippocrates

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 10:30

Douglas D. Holmes

Talk on the new youth program.

The purpose it to get the gospel of Christ deep in the hearts of the youth.

He talks about the importance of relationships, which to be honest is nice to hear because I often hear how the church is not a social club. I feel like activities at church that have the purpose of making social connections have been purposely squelched in the recent past.

Turns out this generation is the best one. Sorry previous generation. :angel:
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 10:34

nibbler wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 10:30

Turns out this generation is the best one. Sorry previous generation. :angel:
I thought it was two generations ago that was chosen. Seems God can't make up his mind.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 10:35

I guess it beats old people up there complaining, "Kids today..."
— Hippocrates

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 04 Apr 2020, 10:41

That song in both words and melody is inspiring and a most beautiful tribute. My own experience.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 10:50

Henry B. Eyring

Eyring did what Nelson asked us to do to prepare for conference.

I lost the pulse of this talk but I did not like one part where Eyring said (paraphrased off memory) that Joseph knew he had to find the true church to gain forgiveness. Forgiveness does not come from a church.

There were many us vs. them references.

Saturday Morning recap: Outside of Rasband's talk this session was very Joseph Smith/Nelson centric. No real surprises there given the announced theme, just something to be aware of going in.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 10:51

I have to say this session has exactly met my expectations. What more could I possibly desire?

ETA, the closing hymn is another fav. (Come Thou Fount)

My Introduction