General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2021, 13:24

Specifically Oaks' Sunday afternoon talk.

He softened the message but yeah... it's a weird talk for Easter Sunday.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 13:27

I am ecstatic about the statement that there is no party or platform that can satisfy every desire and issue - and that changing party support and candidates from election to election is fine and perhaps even necessary - and that we should not judge others based on their political support - and that politics should not be part of ANY church meeting or activity.

It ended on a great highlight for me - which truly surprised me.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2021, 13:29

He did end it on a very good note.
— Hippocrates

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 13:35

Faith-promoting story by Elder Rasband, but it will be used to assume that sincere prayer should cause miracles - and that if they don't happen, it is because of weak faith.

Maybe I just don't have that kind of faith - or maybe miracles are not that simplistic. I just don't like the implications that miracles only happen to the faithful and that a lack of miracles means lesser faith. He included a long disclaimer and explanation, but it still promised a miracle - even if it doesn't match our timeline or is not what we desire. To me, that makes miracles something that we can't quantify - that makes them completely up to our own views and biases - which means anything is a miracle if we see it as one. I understand and even appreciate that from a religious perspective, but it does nothing for my own mind. It just isn't a construct I can accept as a definition of "miracle".
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 13:47

This session so far has not been at the same level as the other sessions. This talk is a good orthodox talk - and that is a sincere compliment and a sincere concern.

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 14:01

I missed the last session yesterday. Did Elder Bednar speak, or are we going to get both him and Elder Christofferson in the next hour? They both are hit and (often) miss for me, so . . .

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 14:04

Okay, this session appears to be the orthodox session. I will adjust my emotional expectations accordingly.

The idea that following "the covenant path" keeps us from "unforced errors" often is damaging. It puts our failures and challenges and other difficulties firmly on our own shoulders and implies a happy, productive, successful life is a matter of personal choice and obedience. I really dislike the idea that bad things do not happen, generally, to good people but rather happen to bad people. (I agree that bad choices often bring bad consequences, but I don't like how extreme the divide becomes in so many people's minds.)

I also don't like the details of the example of "John and Mary" he is using, since it also tends to be seen as what will happen with true faithfulness - that the blessing is a result of his willingness to join the LDS Church. Again, I understand the power of these talks for orthodox members, but they just don't resonate with me personally.

To avoid misunderstanding: This is not a "bad" talk in my mind. It is a solidly orthodox talk with some really good aspects - which is a blessing and a curse for me, personally.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2021, 14:10

Old-Timer wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 14:01
I missed the last session yesterday. Did Elder Bednar speak, or are we going to get both him and Elder Christofferson in the next hour? They both are hit and (often) miss for me, so . . .
He's due up before the break.
— Hippocrates

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 14:30

Elder Bednar:

There absolutely was nothing close to "perfect order" in the early years of the LDS Church. Just saying. :D

I LOVE the quote itself ("I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves.") and wish we all could follow it as stated. General Conference too often is a good example of that not happening. I hope this talk sticks to it.

The Word of Wisdom is an excellent example of a principle being applied, in practical terms, beyond the original principle. To be fair to Elder Bednar, he kept his focus on the principle and not the common practical application - and is continuing to do so.

I like the analogy of the ship's helm - but it is used so often . . . :smile:

This ended as a much better talk than I anticipated when it started.

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 14:45

I appreciate Pres. Nelson's explicit emphasis on following civil directives and medical/scientific concerns with regard to opening the temples.

"Do all that you can to bring COVID numbers down in your areas."

20 more temples announced. Wow!

(Norway, Belgium, Austria, Ghana, Mozambique, South Africa, Singapore, Brazil, Columbia, Mexico (2), Montana (Helena), Wyoming (Casper), Colorado (Grand Junction), New Mexico (Farmington), Oregon (Eugene), Nevada (Elko), California (Herba Linda), Utah (Smithfield)