General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
NoahVail

Re: General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Post by NoahVail » 03 Apr 2021, 16:18

Old-Timer wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 16:12
Also, Elder Renlund has aged a lot visually. He looked like he had lost a lot of weight in a non-healthy way. I was shocked at the physical change and wondered if he had been sick. I knew Elder Gong had COVID, and I wondered if Elder Renlund did, as well.
Brother Eyring's gait looks an awful lot like mine when my back goes out.

Limhah

Post by Limhah » 04 Apr 2021, 07:49

I wonder if they'll announce any new temples again.

First conference I saw was in '91 ... only 45 temples back then iirc.

The 200th conference in 2030 should be quite the event if I'm around to see it.

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 04 Apr 2021, 08:35

I recorded Conference this year and haven't watched any of the sessions. I am going to rely on you guys to tell me which talks I absolutely should not miss, which ones were just "okay" and which ones I should positively avoid at all costs. (My mind goes back a number of years to Sister Beck's talk, "Mother Who Know," which just about caused me to never watch Conference again.) I know that, as I write this, we've only had the Saturday session, but I really do hope some of you good people will help me out here.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 10:03

Good, solid Easter talks in this session so far. (Sunday morning)

Also, I absolutely LOVE the intentional, explicit, international focus on having speakers from many countries - not one of whom so far has been from the USA. I wish they were speaking in their native languages, with subtitles, but I appreciate the diversity in this session.

Finally, hearing "I Am a Child of God" in many languages, phrase-by-phrase, was awesome!
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2021, 10:49

It's a shame that a session nearly completely dedicated to Jesus ended on that talk from President Nelson. I can't really fault him though, he just does not understand a faith crisis.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2021, 13:16

Ugh. American exceptionalism and near worship of the US constitution and the founding fathers in the church is nauseating.
— Hippocrates

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 13:17

I don't like the beginning of Pres. Oaks' talk, for multiple reasons, or the focus on one nation's laws - but I appreciate the disclaimers he is including about the US Constitution. I will wait and see how he addresses the 5 principles he just mentioned.

So far, I am not seeing how the principles are going to be related to the Gospel.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2021, 13:19

All the same, what a topic for EASTER.
— Hippocrates

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 13:19

Yep, there certainly is that. :(

I also don't like even the idea that Christians are being persecuted - and, while he hasn't gone there yet, I am concerned it is going to happen. (If he ties the idea that there should be no loyalty to an individual to recent developments in the USA, I will be happy - but I have no confidence that will happen.)

He just hinted at gay marriage, even if he didn't say it. This is going downhill quickly for me.

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Apr 2021, 13:23

I would suggest at this point that anyone who is looking for recommendations on talks to read skip this one.

There is some good stuff, but it is going to be twisted badly by so many of my friends and loved ones.