General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Post by Old-Timer » 03 Apr 2021, 10:18

Getting to this late, but:

SATURDAY MORNING SESSION

Elder Uchtdorf: Excellent basic Gospel sermon. I liked the references to hope embedded in the Gospel.

Sister Jones: I understand and respect the focus on teaching kids early, but this one didn't resonate with me at all. Too "indoctrination-y" for me.

Brother Newman: Good, generic talk.

Elder Stevenson: YES!! Call out ALL bullying, meanness, racism, persecution, etc. - in detail. Chastise members who exclude non-member neighbors and their kids. (Also, as a note, I used to attend church in Quincy, IL - so the story of the compassion of the citizens of that city was good to hear.)

Elder Gong: This is a wonderful sermon about kindness and love and active service - and being Good Samaritans in real, important ways. Good focus on the LDS Church being international. There are a TON of excellent statements in this talk. I hope there are more changes that reflect a practical acceptance of all.

Pres. Eyring: I don't have the same type of "spiritual orientation" he does (not a visionary person), so his statement about how all can experience what he experienced doesn't ring for me personally, but I appreciate his care to distinguish, multiple times, the idea that these are HIS experiences and HIS testimony.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Post by Old-Timer » 03 Apr 2021, 10:18

Feel free to add any impressions or thoughts about any of the talks.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 03 Apr 2021, 10:36

Elder Stevenson and Elder Gong's talks were really good. IMO those are the two to take away from the Saturday morning session.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 03 Apr 2021, 10:48

I was just called along with DW to teach 11 year olds in Primary. Sister Jones's talk was good for me, mostly. I usually tune her out but I picked up some useful points. Seems like she got that that perpetual grin under control.

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 03 Apr 2021, 10:55

I think one of the reasons Sister Jones' talk was relatively non-impactful for me is that I now am an empty nester - and the only grandkids close to me geographically don't go to church.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 03 Apr 2021, 11:00

Generally I don't like the implications of not being far enough in as a reason for falling. Being human is the reason for falling. We're human, we will fall, falling is part of it.

I feel that aspect of her talk, and most of Eyring's talk, lead to toxic perfectionism and scrupulosity, which I also feel is a big problem in our culture.
— Hippocrates

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 03 Apr 2021, 11:01

That aside, I think this was one of the better sessions of conference that I can remember.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 03 Apr 2021, 12:33

nibbler wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 11:01
That aside, I think this was one of the better sessions of conference that I can remember.
Yes, I agree. Mostly mundane but not offensive mundane. I did like Uchtdorf's hope and both Stevenson and Gong. Eyring was a little too worthiness oriented for my liking and I actually thought it was the "lowlight" (or whatever the opposite of highlight is) of the session. Sister Jones was fine but not applicable to me, but a friend and I have had some recent conversations about "teaching correct principles" as opposed to overbearing (and I believe the latter to be more what Sr. Jones favored).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 03 Apr 2021, 12:43

Just so everyone knows, I will not be able to see or hear the afternoon sessions live, so feel free to provide any summaries of talks as they happen - of any length or detail.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 03 Apr 2021, 12:44

I caught a tiny snippet of the one talk where the guy used golfing at St. Andrews for some corollary in the Church/Gospel. I'm sure it was a fine talk and that the guy is top-notch, but I don't think this is the kind of story that will resonate with the non-wealthy. The members of the Church I knew in South America, some of whom couldn't read or write, all of whom had low prospects for financial security would not have known what St. Andrews was or anything about golf, for that matter. I think the Church GAs have done a pretty good job in the last couple decades of trying not to have an elitist look, but sometimes it still comes through. It made me wonder what a talk by Thurston Howell III would be like.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -