Conference coming up

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: Conference coming up

Post by SamBee » 01 Apr 2021, 00:10

PazamaManX wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 08:16
I feel the same. I've long since had my fill of anything related to the pandemic. Any talk that focuses on that will probably be an intermission for me.
I agree. I can barely listen to the radio now. There is a Greek station I listen to on Radio Garden. It has that plinky-plank traditional Greek music on it (which for some reason I've always liked) and I love the sound of the Greek language, but more importantly when the news comes on, I can't understand it!!! I can't listen to English language stations because of the constant lecturing and one-sided content. TV - streaming only and most ads on mute.

It simply isn't uplifting or godly. We are entering a very dark period of human history, and pretending everything is okay is not on.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 01 Apr 2021, 10:58

DarkJedi wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 05:55
This sort of goes along with the part of the discussion about standard scriptures. In above posts the NCC is mentioned as license holder of the NRSV.
This discussion surprised me as I saw my affinity for KJV as being one of the few points where my preferences aligned with members in general. This may be another instance where my tastes are at odds w/ LDS culture (eg: I am repulsed the by the repetition of hymns, literally written for 5yos).

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 01 Apr 2021, 11:15

SamBee wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 00:10
It simply isn't uplifting or godly. We are entering a very dark period of human history, and pretending everything is okay is not on.
I think they're all dark. I mean I can't pick a period where there wasn't widespread, life-changingly awful stuff happening. Just in the time encompassing my grandparents lives and my own, I see other instances of every type of present day suffering - usually in degrees that are measurably worse.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Apr 2021, 12:51

NoahVail wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 11:15
SamBee wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 00:10
I think they're all dark. I mean I can't pick a period where there wasn't widespread, life-changingly awful stuff happening. Just in the time encompassing my grandparents lives and my own, I see other instances of every type of present day suffering - usually in degrees that are measurably worse.
There is darkness in every age, but this seems to be global which is rare. And it isn't the virus that worries me the most just now. It is where we are heading.

I think we were lucky in the nineties (in the west anyway - not elsewhere). The threat of nuclear war had diminished, the political extremes were there but not mainstream, work was easier to apply for, and the internet was fresh, if nerdy. The decade has bad associations for me because of bereavements,, but the setting was far better.

So I'd take them despite the personal associations . TV was worse, I suppose, with some honorable exceptions. But the nineties look good from here. Seventies and eighties had better music but other bigger issues. The noughties, well, numerous wars again. The nineties weren't the best for cultural nostalgia but there was optimism in the air.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Apr 2021, 13:17

I'm going to pass on conference this year due to the reason I mention. If there are any good talks which don't mention the elephant in the room, let me know.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 02 Apr 2021, 15:16

SamBee wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 12:51
it isn't the virus that worries me the most just now. It is where we are heading.
My own 2cents:

What I notice much more now than at any other time in my life is the smugness with which people (of all political persuasions) seem to treat opposing views. It's as if they think their own views are perfect, enlightened, honorable and correct — and that anyone who doesn't share their particular view is a moron who needs to be shouted down publicly. People frequently describe views with which they don't agree as "dangerous"; not simply different... "dangerous". Then we marginalize and shame people who don't think the way we do. We declare that they shouldn't vote, because they are so wrong. We attack their character (as a way to marginalize their opinions further, and thereby build up our own).

There's always been some of this, but not to the degree that it exists now.

And here's the rub. It's really hard to recognize that each of us is just as guilty of this as the people we oppose... we just can't see this in ourselves or our allies. But it blares out like a foghorn from the heads of those with whom we don't share common opinions.

We can't see it easily in our in-groups.

It's all we see in our out-groups.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 02 Apr 2021, 15:50

Let's not do politics, especially in a conference thread. Besides, I'm sure leaders will say things during conference to disappoint/anger both sides. ;)
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 03 Apr 2021, 10:23

[Admin Note]: From the original post:
"With conference next weekend, I'm curious if anyone here has anything that they are expecting or hoping for?"
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 03 Apr 2021, 12:34

Old-Timer wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 10:23
[Admin Note]: From the original post:
"With conference next weekend, I'm curious if anyone here has anything that they are expecting or hoping for?"
I would like to see fewer talks on paying tithing and obedience and more talks directed at being a true disciple by not letting differences of opinion, no matter how large, drive us to judging our fellow church members (Romans 14) and by going beyond major cultural-political differences to treat with an abundance of kindness the people who think and act the least like us — to treat people in our out-groups the way we would want to be treated (Sermon on the Mount, Parable of the Good Samaritan)... In short: about setting aside our outrage and focusing on being a better person (Sermon on the Mount) and making the world a better place through our actions rather than our arguments (Sermon on the Plain).

I didn't see all of GC this morning, but heard good talks that go a long way to toward the above, especially GWG and DES.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 03 Apr 2021, 12:43

nibbler wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 15:50
Let's not do politics, especially in a conference thread. Besides, I'm sure leaders will say things during conference to disappoint/anger both sides.
sidebar: I feel that discussions of the broad harms caused by politics honors the intent of reduced political discussions, by focusing on unifying aspects of political damage, revealing the healing that needs to follow and (hopefully) identify how the Church can help achieve these things.