Conference coming up

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
NoahVail

Re: Conference coming up

Post by NoahVail » 03 Apr 2021, 12:46

On Own Now wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 12:34

I would like to see fewer talks on paying tithing and obedience and more talks directed at being a true disciple by not letting differences of opinion, no matter how large, drive us to judging our fellow church members (Romans 14) and by going beyond major cultural-political differences to treat with an abundance of kindness the people who think and act the least like us — to treat people in our out-groups the way we would want to be treated (Sermon on the Mount, Parable of the Good Samaritan)... In short: about setting aside our outrage and focusing on being a better person (Sermon on the Mount) and making the world a better place through our actions rather than our arguments (Sermon on the Plain).
As an all-thumbs saint, I have many thumbs up to give to this.

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Conference coming up

Post by Old-Timer » 03 Apr 2021, 13:39

[Admin Note]: If a political discussion deals directly and explicitly with staying LDS and can occur with that support focus in place, fine. However, this post is focused on hopes for General Conference. That is a fairly narrow focus.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken