StayLDS Version of the Give Thanks Media Campaign

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Jabraso

Re: StayLDS Version of the Give Thanks Media Campaign

Post by Jabraso » 24 Nov 2020, 12:15

I firmly believe in the importance of giving thanks. Recognizing how fortunate you are is key to humility and happiness. It is a good thing to remind people to be thankful and I'm glad we have this holiday dedicated to gratitude. Unfortunately most of the examples of this "give thanks" thing going around social media have been underwhelming and/or condescending. I'd like it much better if gratitude wasn't driven by a social media hashtag. Most of what I'm seeing are filtered selfies, people showing off their recent family photo shoot, and pictures of a new house with perfect landscaping.

I cherish the examples of true gratitude for the small and simple things in life that are overlooked. I'm grateful for the mess that is my life because it means I'm still alive and have time to make things around me a bit better.

Roy

Post by Roy » 24 Nov 2020, 15:39

Jabraso wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 12:15
I cherish the examples of true gratitude for the small and simple things in life that are overlooked. I'm grateful for the mess that is my life because it means I'm still alive and have time to make things around me a bit better.
I have been thinking that in some ways COVID is stripping away all of the trappings that have grown up around thanksgiving. Is it really Thanksgiving if you do not do XYZ? What is at the heart of thanksgiving? Hint- I have been pondering analogies between covid and "the Grinch."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 25 Nov 2020, 08:19

Curt Sunshine wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 13:14
I am opening a thread for StayLDS participants to share their own "Giving Thanks" messages - orthodox or unorthodox.
I'm thankful for my upbringing in the Church.

I'm thankful for having been a missionary — particularly in my time and place.

I'm thankful for my experiences at BYU, where I met and married a woman of such kindness, intelligence, work ethic, drive and compassion.

I'm thankful for my family members who supported me through my Faith Crisis; both the believers and those who had left the Church.

I'm thankful for StayLDS for having given me hope in dark times, a place to talk with others to begin to find my way back to a Way, and ushering in a new phase of my Faith Transition.

I'm thankful for where my Faith Transition has taken me; for having found peace in a form of 'spirituality' rooted in Christianity without the need to be concerned with any 'afterlife'.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Nov 2020, 08:39

I am changing job locations. Same job and same organization but different location. The new location is closer to home but larger and with a bigger hierarchical tree. Being closer is something I am looking forward to and for which I am grateful. FWIW, the way this change came about is because my old location is closing (nothing to do with COVID, we've knew about it pre-COVID). So while I really liked the old place and the people who I worked with there (and feel badly for those who are not fortunate enough to get something they wanted out of the deal) I am grateful for the closing because it made the move possible. That's not really what I came to say though.

My commute to my old location was 1 hour and 45 minutes each way, a little over half of which was highway. Depending on the time of year, I traveled in darkness at least one way most days (except mid summer). There are many deer where I live and commute. In the 3 and a quarter years I traveled there I did not hit a single deer. I had some close calls but never hit one. Most of the people I work with, who all had shorter commutes (although some were well over an hour), did hit at least one deer during that time. My boss (1 hour) got a twofer one year - when we decorated his Christmas stocking we put two reindeer on it. Likewise I had no mechanical difficulties either way, not even a flat tire. And while I did have a few very white knuckle very snowy trips, I was not involved in any crashes (I saw plenty though). Many people would count all this as blessings and I'm not going to discount that idea because it's possible. But blessing or not, I am thankful for over three years of safe and generally happy commuting.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 25 Nov 2020, 11:48

I'm very thankful for my membership in the church this year. I would have been horrifically isolated without it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 26 Nov 2020, 12:52

I'm thankful for my family's anti-social tendencies that have made the pandemic a pretty ok experience.

Doubly thankful for our third year w/o me and my kids facing hunger.

I'm thankful for the complicated high councilman who posted "Masks are from Satan" in EQ chat and who found & delivered a free fridge to my ex yesterday.

I'm thankful for kratom bringing a bit of pain relief to a lot of people who no longer have access to meds, due to opioid hysteria.

I'm thankful for people who've helped us and for people we can help - which are never the same people because that's how it works.

I'm thankful for this forum because that other BigMormonForum feels like such a battleground.

Roy

Post by Roy » 27 Nov 2020, 10:32

My cousin shared a give thanks post on facebook that contained the following excerpt from a talk that the had delivered on the topic "Why I believe":

She gave me permission to share it.
Some may call it being naïve. Some may call it being gullible. I call it a spiritual gift. I am a believer. I believe people have good intentions. I believe what people tell me. I believe people try their best. I believe people mean well.

I believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ not only because doing so comes naturally to me but because, like my belief in mankind, my belief in God and His Plan brings me peace and a sense of optimism-both of which I need in a mortal world where living right and doing right aren't always enough to guarantee things will go right.
This really touched me because it goes to the catalyst for my faith crisis and yet still offers reasonable motivations for continued belief. I hang on. I am a stayer. Maybe that too could be called a "spiritual gift."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13