Why do you go?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Katzpur

Re: Why do you go?

Post by Katzpur » 10 Nov 2020, 09:40

Before I started serving at the Salt Lake Metro Jail, I went to church to receive the sacrament. Period.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 Nov 2020, 09:48

Katzpur wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 09:40
Before I started serving at the Salt Lake Metro Jail, I went to church to receive the sacrament. Period.
I have wondered. Since we have been authorized to bless and pass the sacrament in our own homes if that has diminished the importance of attending church.
I also pray for the health of those that are incarcerated at this time. Our own prisons (we have two in our county) have uncomfortably high rates of Covid. :cry:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 12 Nov 2020, 22:03

I used to get a lot of benefit as a teenager because that was where all my friends were. Church was the main opportunity I had to socialize and make friends.

When I first started college, the church was a convenient support community to help each other adjust to being away from home. As a missionary church was a time to talk to members and take a break from the grind of missionary work.

As a YSA there was a time where church was an opportunity to meet potential people to date. But I’ve long since given up on the mess that is BYU dating (not to mention my faith changes and the raging pandemic).

Most recently I was going to avoid the ire of the Honor Code Office and get an ecclesiastical endorsement. But now with COVID I haven’t attended since March, and I don’t miss it at all.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Nov 2020, 11:52

I go to support people I love, especially those who don't fit the stereotypical mold.

I am not shy, and I know how to say unorthodox things in orthodox words (how to speak "Mormonese"), so I go so other unorthodox members hear someone saying things in a way that helps them in their journeys.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken