Is StayLDS at its end of life?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: Is StayLDS at its end of life?

Post by SamBee » 19 Jan 2021, 04:17

DarkJedi wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 07:42
SamBee wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 16:29
I've probably said this before, but I FAR prefer this format to Social Media for a variety of reasons. There is a much better atmosphere on here and I find it easier to search through and read.
I concur. I don't do social media for that very reason.
I'm forced to use Facebook by the church. I have complained about it. Nowadays it shows me notifications for cat videos* but not messages.

I think it's disgusting the way it spies on people.

* Not that I dislike cats. The videos are corny though.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 19 Jan 2021, 06:27

SamBee wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 04:17
DarkJedi wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 07:42
SamBee wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 16:29
I've probably said this before, but I FAR prefer this format to Social Media for a variety of reasons. There is a much better atmosphere on here and I find it easier to search through and read.
I concur. I don't do social media for that very reason.
I'm forced to use Facebook by the church. I have complained about it. Nowadays it shows me notifications for cat videos* but not messages.

I think it's disgusting the way it spies on people.

* Not that I dislike cats. The videos are corny though.
How are you forced to use Facebook? Just asking, I don't understand. Our ward has a Facebook page but that's not the only way to get announcements or information.

I like cats too, but not so much cat videos.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 21 Jan 2021, 16:02

DarkJedi wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 06:27

How are you forced to use Facebook? Just asking, I don't understand. Our ward has a Facebook page but that's not the only way to get announcements or information.

I like cats too, but not so much cat videos.
It's gotten worse since lockdown. Before I used to sit in church, hear all the announcements, speak to people etc. Now our government has banned church services - again - although our supermarkets remain untouched. 🤔

Every announcement goes through FB. If you're not on there you won't hear about it basically. Ward and stake. The ward group is private. You won't see it without joining. No one sees any problem with this. We do have a stake newsletter which is emailed, and I'd prefer that, but it is mostly there to lift members' spirits in these horrible times. But the recent FB revamp has made accessing messenger more complex, and I've a) no desire to download the app and b) not enough memory to so.

I'm on our Ward Council (sorry, that's one of my secrets out 😆) and outside our Zoom meetings, all our discussions take place through it. So if I don't do that, I'm locked out. And I suspect I would lose my calling. I believe I have been able to do some good over the past year (despite my pessimism and cynicism about what's happening) and have streamlined our ministering system with some help, so that we can deal with lockdown issues. I have also helped roll out necessary adjustments to welfare for our post-Covid conditions. And arranged an online Christmas concert for some shut ins with special needs.

I did bring this issue up with the last bishopric, but nothing changed. We have a new bishopric and I have remarked on it again. I don't want to be seen as a troublemaker. I am on good terms with our local leaders and I want to keep it that way especially in these times.

I was very glad to see Zuckerberg being grilled recently by American politicians. I really think that man has abused his position and should be held accountable (by both parties). As should some of his colleagues in Twitter, Amazon and Google.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Jan 2021, 08:41

I can see how that can be frustrating Sam. As I said my ward has a Facebook page but that's not the only way to get the announcements. That's because I live in a rural area where some people don't have internet access at home and we also have some Luddites in our ward. Fortunately our leadership understands that.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 22 Jan 2021, 16:23

DarkJedi wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 08:41
I can see how that can be frustrating Sam. As I said my ward has a Facebook page but that's not the only way to get the announcements. That's because I live in a rural area where some people don't have internet access at home and we also have some Luddites in our ward. Fortunately our leadership understands that.
We have a number of elderly people but I think the attitude has been that most of them have been wrapped in cotton wool the last year or so.

I remember my first day on Facebook. A friend and his cousin having a fight. Went downhill from there. I enjoy the groups, but I don't like the whole "friend" thing because certain people get prioritized and deprioritized. Politics and religion don't go down well on it - I'm including atheism under those tags.

They've revamped the website recently. Big tech does this on a regular basis, however I find it is rarely an improvement. Certainly not this time as I can't see the most essential feature - messenger - without going through several steps.

By the by, there is a massive controversy in Australia now regarding Facebook and Google. I think 70% of the Aussie population are on it, but they've admitted to manipulating the news people can see and it's got them into trouble with the government.

Roy

Post by Roy » 24 Jan 2021, 09:45

I too have wondered how to get announcements to people that are not present in sacrament meeting. I have seen some other churches use billboards, sandwich boards, Pamphlets, Flyers, or websites to get the word out. We as a church are not as good at doing that. My ward does have a Facebook page and I am a member of it but I have not seen any announcements communicated through it. I would consider it an improvement if they did start posting announcements in this way.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jan 2021, 10:41

Roy wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 09:45
I too have wondered how to get announcements to people that are not present in sacrament meeting. I have seen some other churches use billboards, sandwich boards, Pamphlets, Flyers, or websites to get the word out. We as a church are not as good at doing that. My ward does have a Facebook page and I am a member of it but I have not seen any announcements communicated through it. I would consider it an improvement if they did start posting announcements in this way.
I think our ward primarily uses email, which is only slightly better and still leaves out some people. They do always include a line about sharing with ministering families that may not have email. I don't know how well that happens. On the other hand, with no activities there are few announcements to be made.

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 27 Jan 2021, 12:29

DarkJedi wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 10:41
Roy wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 09:45
I think our ward primarily uses email, which is only slightly better and still leaves out some people. They do always include a line about sharing with ministering families that may not have email. I don't know how well that happens. On the other hand, with no activities there are few announcements to be made.
I think email has a better reach and while some of it has connections with big tech e.g. Gmail, it is a lot less toxic than social media.

mormonheretic
Site Admin

Post by mormonheretic » 06 Feb 2021, 19:07

Our ward Facebook page is seldom used, especially by the current and past bishopric. Same with my old ward facebook page.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 12 Feb 2021, 00:31

hawkgrrrl wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 12:03
I've found that I forget to check in here more than about once a week anymore. I am a little more active in the online groups, although even there, I am less involved than I used to be. Mostly, I just feel like I like the people in these groups, but without Church going on, there's not much to discuss about Church. (It's not entirely true that Church isn't going on, but we haven't been to the new ward, and we just moved, and I really don't feel like going). I can't say I haven't missed Church, because on some level I miss it, but I don't miss the content of it, just the break and seeing people, and I 100% don't miss getting up to an alarm on Sunday, dressing up and going to hear the same exact pablum over and over.
This made sense to me too. Without regular church services, there isn't as much reason to talk about the church. Going to church when you are in a commitment crisis presents a lot of information that is contrary to a person's natural thought. This provokes tension and makes coming to sites like these more necessary for the person who wants to cope. In the absence of church, there isn't as much to create that tension between belief and action, so it's less important to post online.

I expect when the pandemic is over and we go back to regular church, that you'll see an uptick in people coming to StayLDS for support.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young