Where is everyone?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
grobert93

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by grobert93 » 06 Sep 2020, 07:24

The church ls less relevant to me now that I'm out, so I find less reason to be actively involved. While I believe this site is perfect for those who want to STAY, for those who want to LEAVE it doesn't fulfill as satisfying.

That, and the pandemic caused a lot of life events to not occur and thus we are more busy dealing with cleaning, budgeting and school just started so homework as well, haha.

Rich70

Post by Rich70 » 06 Sep 2020, 22:38

not going to church due to COVID has been a nice break. We went today for the first time since COVID. I find myself on this forum again. Going to church stirs up opinions and emotions and haven’t had the need to think them out or go to forums when not attending church.
We’re considering visiting other churches to give our kids more balance and perspective. Any suggestions? Would have to be a church that doesn’t have dogmatic views and prescribed beliefs. Have had enough of that to last a few lifetimes.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 07 Sep 2020, 06:37

Rich70 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 22:38
We’re considering visiting other churches to give our kids more balance and perspective. Any suggestions? Would have to be a church that doesn’t have dogmatic views and prescribed beliefs. Have had enough of that to last a few lifetimes.
I believe it is important for children to be exposed to & appreciate other religions & beliefs. In our community there are a lot of Jewish families.
Some are Orthodox & others are Reformed. My wife was also a teacher in the public schools. As a result, we were invited to a number of Bar mitzvah &
Bat mitzvah. We have friends that are Muslim too. (We didn't attend their services.) My daughter's best friend is Jewish. One day she came home & asked why Mindy's dad had numbers tattooed on his wrist. We had an interesting history lesson that day.

I was born & raised in the Methodist church. It is very accepting of everyone that comes to the services.
The only down side as I see it, is that are not very friendly & not a lot of participation singing hymns.
They seem to be in a hurry to get home afterwards. I have family members who are Catholic. They have a lot of ceremony to their services. Standing up & sitting down. (You won't be the only ones sitting down the whole time. Sit in the back.)

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 07 Sep 2020, 17:30

I'm still here, Minyan Man. I have been enjoying time away from church due to the COVID-19, but I'll also been a little lonely. Even with my issues with the church, it's not the local ward members I have the issues. In fact, they're my community.
I believe it is important for children to be exposed to & appreciate other religions & beliefs. In our community there are a lot of Jewish families.
Some are Orthodox & others are Reformed. My wife was also a teacher in the public schools. As a result, we were invited to a number of Bar mitzvah &
Bat mitzvah. We have friends that are Muslim too. (We didn't attend their services.) My daughter's best friend is Jewish. One day she came home & asked why Mindy's dad had numbers tattooed on his wrist. We had an interesting history lesson that day.

I was born & raised in the Methodist church. It is very accepting of everyone that comes to the services.
The only down side as I see it, is that are not very friendly & not a lot of participation singing hymns.
They seem to be in a hurry to get home afterwards. I have family members who are Catholic. They have a lot of ceremony to their services. Standing up & sitting down. (You won't be the only ones sitting down the whole time. Sit in the back.)
I have a couple friends that are devout Catholics, but I don't know any Jewish or Muslim people where I live. I've seen plenty of Muslim women around town, though. Hahah. You can't miss them when they wear those burkas.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 07 Sep 2020, 18:53

I originally I put this post up because I thought, with the COVID virus, and more people staying home or laid off, we would turn inward & reflect
more on our circumstances, write them down & want to discuss them further. I thought the traffic would pick up more. It seems like the
opposite is true. Maybe we have turned more inward. Personally, I am talking less, posting less & reading more.

Then I get a head ache & stop because my eyes aren't working well yet.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Sep 2020, 14:58

I have been working a lot of hours since the pandemic started due to the work I do.

I try to check in regularly, but it isn't daily - and I don't write posts very often. I just have less time - and there currently isn't as much about which I feel inspired / compelled to write.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 15 Sep 2020, 04:35

There have been a few newsroom items and other things during the shutdown. I'll try to find a few and spin up some threads.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Sep 2020, 17:21

I now am on close contact quarantine.

Negative test the day it started and totally asymptomatic. Doing fine. Working from home. Checking in now and then.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 16 Sep 2020, 15:22

Be safe brother. We care about you and your family!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Sep 2020, 07:03

I am doing fine.

I just found out yesterday a friend's father is dying from it, and then I found out an extended family member tested positive. It's been a rough 24 hours.