Where is everyone?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

Where is everyone?

Post by Minyan Man » 04 Sep 2020, 07:31

Am I in the Twilight Zoo? No one on this site anymore?
Or just nothing to say?

Sometimes we just need a vacation.

AmyJ

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by AmyJ » 04 Sep 2020, 08:31

I am still here.
Been dealing with running a parent-implemented summer school for my 10.75 year old, starting virtual school for my 10.75 and 4 year old girls (and the angst about in-school vs virtual school options), and are mid-investigation for a chronic health problem diagnosis for my husband while working from home.

Church hasn't been a factor in my life right now. I saw an announcement that they started services back in a limited fashion about 2 weeks ago - but we did not go. We probably won't go back for a while to reduce risk for my husband in a higher risk category. To add insult to injury, most cleaning supplies contain substances that are a migraine trigger for my husband. So in a sense, we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't :D

I do grapple with going back period. On the one hand, it is our community - but we have been pretty isolated from community support, so what does that actually look like? On the other hand, the gulf between what I believe and hold dear and what other church members believe and hold dear hasn't decreased any and hasn't gotten any less awkward and uncomfortable.

So most of my musings have not been either a) church-related, or b) something that I felt was worth posting about specifically.

Roy

Post by Roy » 04 Sep 2020, 10:06

AmyJ wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 08:31
Church hasn't been a factor in my life right now.
I think this has a really big part of it. the church imprint in my life right now is very small. I do not tend to see other church members and when I do it is in a non-church setting where we are on more equal footing (beware of those church settings where you may be outnumbered :lol: ).
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Sep 2020, 10:47

Roy wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 10:06
AmyJ wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 08:31
Church hasn't been a factor in my life right now.
I think this has a really big part of it. the church imprint in my life right now is very small. I do not tend to see other church members and when I do it is in a non-church setting where we are on more equal footing (beware of those church settings where you may be outnumbered :lol: ).
I agree with Roy. Less church so less to be aggravated/annoyed about hence less traffic here.

I've had two turns at 30-minute church (can we keep it?) and the only annoyance I've had are the people who want to chat afterwards (my wife being a chief offender).

I check in multiple times per day as usual, but it has indeed been a bit quiet around here of late.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 04 Sep 2020, 11:41

Our ward meets every other week. Alternating with the other ward sharing our building. I understand that there are about
thirty people that show up. We usually had 120+ each week. Meetings last about 45 minutes. That includes passing the sacrament.
We don't go either. They have virtual online meetings too. I don't see the point.

I'm curious how this is going to change the church as an organization. More virtual meetings?
I have a hard time imagining what it must be like to be: a Missionary, a Mission President, a Temple President or worker, etc.
There are a lot of facilities & personnel sitting idle at best.

I have had cataract surgery on my right eye & don't want to risk getting the virus. So I do very little outside our home.
What a difference it has made so far. I can't wait for the 2nd. My 2nd surgery is next Thursday.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Sep 2020, 12:17

Minyan Man wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 11:41

I have had cataract surgery on my right eye & don't want to risk getting the virus. So I do very little outside our home.
What a difference it has made so far. I can't wait for the 2nd. My 2nd surgery is next Thursday.
I had cataract surgery several years ago. One of the best things I ever did.

Our ward is divided to stay under a maximum number threshold and each group only goes once a month. From what I hear and see we never get close to the max. There is some scuttlebutt about increasing the max and having fewer groups, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. There are Zoom SS, PH and RS meetings I don't take part in.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 04 Sep 2020, 15:36

No one on this site anymore?
I'm here! :wave: Just busy trying to get through the day. Probably what a lot of us are doing right now with all the pandemic, civil unrest, and political conflict going on. We're headed back to church in October to two 45 minute meetings being held for our ward (I think that's how they're doing that).

I hope the board will continue. I still pop in at least once a week to see what's happening.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Sep 2020, 16:32

It's probably a combo of a lot of stuff.

I think lots of people find in-person support these days. That and what others have mentioned. Less church, less goings on.

We've resumed in-person meetings in our area and the procedures that have been put in place are as good as can be hoped for. We're doing it right.

That said, my family will likely opt out of in-person attendance for the rest of the calendar year. I may not rejoin everyone when things get back to "normal."
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 04 Sep 2020, 20:46

Maybe the church has made such positive changes (cancelling home teaching, 2 hour church, giving us a holiday from church attendance due to COVID-19, better equality among the organizations in the Ward) that we not necessary any more :lol:
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 04 Sep 2020, 22:54

I think it’s not just less activity here, but also in the church. We often have discussions here about newsworthy items and church announcements, but it seems like the leadership has been fairly absent lately. So there’s not a lot going on in the church to talk about.