Leadership seems anti-mask - Church guidance isn't anti-mask at all

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Leadership seems anti-mask - Church guidance isn't anti-mask at all

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Aug 2020, 16:50

Due to my job, I am required to wear a mask in all situations with any heightened risks - everywhere, not just at work. My age also puts me in the second-third tier risk category (depending on the source). Thus, I am not attending church in person until every restriction is in place - at least - and probably not even then until the overall risk drops significantly.

I explained that simply and directly to my bishops (family-home ward and work-home ward).
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 14 Aug 2020, 20:05

DarkJedi wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 04:59
I seem to be confused.You're having Zoom meetings - why the concern about masks?
Just the Sacrament meetings are over Zoom (well attended, btw). Leadership meetings and events are in person. None of the in-person meetings apply to me.
DarkJedi wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 04:59
Or are you looking to the future when you do have meetings?
I dunno. I haven't been thinking that far ahead.

I really do like the Zoom thing. I became non-social a while back and our crowded, very very loud sacrament meetings were super unpleasant.

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 14 Aug 2020, 20:18

SilentDawning wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 07:24
I also agree that simply opting out of attendance is a healthy response to lackadaisical attitudes toward preserving the health of members.
I'm confident this is good advice, pretty much anywhere. It's just that in our ward, our absence won't register. People drop out all the time and that's the end of it.

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 14 Aug 2020, 20:23

Curt Sunshine wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 16:50
Thus, I am not attending church in person until every restriction is in place - at least - and probably not even then until the overall risk drops significantly. I explained that simply and directly to my bishops
Ha. I'd love to watch you deliver that to my bishopric. Especially the part where they cock their heads and wonder why you suddenly started speaking in a foreign language.

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 14 Aug 2020, 20:28

DarkJedi wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 12:22
Our area is also limited to 25. The bishop very carefully planned and divided the groups to keep it under that number and made it clear that we cold only attend on our assigned Sunday. He also said that in the event that somehow more than 25 showed up they would be turned away. On the one Sunday we have been so far there were 16.
I applaud their wisdom. I hope it spreads everywhere.

There's kind of a vibe here that the pandemic is somewhere between made-up and overblown. Back in April, I showed up to pick up a food order for a couple. The Relief Society president saw me wearing a mask and indicated she was disappointed that I had fallen for the hoax.

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 16 Aug 2020, 19:35

For today's video services, everyone at the chapel wore a mask except when speaking. Everyone wiped down the podium before walking away.

It seems like the bishopric is taking the precautions seriously & setting an example. I didn't expect that.

Happy to have misjudged them.

Roy

Post by Roy » 17 Aug 2020, 12:10

Glad to hear it, Noah
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13