What brings you joy?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: What brings you joy?

Post by Roy » 22 Jul 2020, 16:00

Minyan Man wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 08:29
Is there anything about church that brings you joy?
I believe that "quality of life" elements bring joy.

I believe that the church contributes to my quality of life in 3 major areas:

1) Community. Feelings of relationship and belongingness are important. It takes a village to raise a child and all that jazz.

2) Meaning and Purpose. The church does not give me as much in this category as it once did. Still, many of the terms I use to explore my purpose and meaning in the universe are fundamentally Mormon.

3) Safety net. In some ways this is related to community. I imagine the church as a vague sense of insurance program. the theory is that you help others when they are in need and they will return the favor in your own time of need.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 23 Jul 2020, 09:01

Roy wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 16:00
2) Meaning and Purpose. The church does not give me as much in this category as it once did. Still, many of the terms I use to explore my purpose and meaning in the universe are fundamentally Mormon.
:thumbup:

I feel the same way. I am not sure if it is because as I age, I see things in life that I learn from outside church, or if times are changing, or if I just see it differently now after faith exploration.

I'm not sure why, but I don't find the church has as much to offer in this area...but I guess still some.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Jul 2020, 18:59

My wife and kids

Helping people

Learning new things

Most other things fit into those three categories.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 24 Jul 2020, 14:49

I find joy in self-actualization. This means I have a vision of myself I would like to accomplish. And when I make that vision come to pass, it creates a euphoric kind of joy for a while. Not false euphoria, but a feeling of deep satisfaction. I felt this way after I held my first gig with a group of professional musicians. I felt extremely satisfied at what I had accomplished, finally, being able to call myself a semi-pro musician.

Certain possessions bring me joy, at least for a while. This happened when I purchased and learned to play an upright bass, and when I purchased and learned to play a digital wind instrument.

In decades past, I felt joy in teaching the gospel and having people accept it. The Holy Ghost can fill your Spirit with joy. I also find joy in thinking positive thoughts, sometimes during EMDR therapy (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) therapy. I've written extensively on that experience here in other threads.

When I achieve a big accomplishment, that will often bring joy for a little while.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 31 Jul 2020, 17:40

I'm curious, along this same topic: what brings fulfillment to your life?
By definition fulfillment can mean: to witness the fulfillment of a dream; to achieve fulfillment of one's hopes.

This probably changes with the phase we are in our life. For example:
- when I was a teenager, it was a drivers license.
- when I was in High School or college, it was the diploma.
- when I got a professional job, it was finding a position that was challenging & rewarding.
- when I got married, it was the quality of our relationship as it developed over time.
- when I became retired, it was being financially ready to meet the challenges at the end of my life.

Now I'm close to the end & I wonder: has my life been fulfilling? Is there more I could of done?'
I'll start with the last question first:

Is there more I could of done? yes, absolutely. Not in terms of church callings but I could of done more relating to my
family, children & fellowmen (& women). Everything else is secondary.

has my life been fulfilling? yes again. It has been very fulfilling to see my children grow up, marry & have children of their own.
They are reasonably happy. They have had their own challenges in life & come out whole on the other side.

My life can be described as a "worker bee" not the head bee. Give me a task to do & if I feel I can contribute, I will commit everything to
complete the task. That is true of my professional life as well as my church life. I hope this makes sense. The past few weeks have been
a period of self reflection.