Wouldn't it be easier just to tell us?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
On Own Now

Re: Wouldn't it be easier just to tell us?

Post by On Own Now » 06 Sep 2020, 14:29

Ilovechrist77 wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 04:53
if there's so much good in the world, why does the news tend to be more bad then good?
This is one of the most important questions we can ask in our current seemingly crazy world.

IMO, it is this way because "the news" is big business... and 'good' doesn't sell the way 'bad' does. Once we accept that and stop letting "the news" control the way we view the world, then the world doesn't seem bad at all. The reality is that most people are good. Most things that take place in this world are good.

Through an amazing stroke of unfathomable luck, we find ourselves with life; the only one we will ever have.

But then, we learn a negative view of the world through the sensationalized portrayal of our collective lives. We are naturally more curious about the uncommon evil than the common good, precisely because it is uncommon. Unfortunately, "the news" companies know and leverage this in a big way; spending all their effort rooting around for bad stuff to tell us about. It's much harder to find than the good stuff, but the good stuff is just too mundane because it is so common.

"The news" has become a lens through which we see the world. The more we pay attention to "the news", the more bad we see, because that lens is focused on the bad. The less we pay attention to "the news" the more good we see; simply because there is much more of it.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 07 Sep 2020, 17:31

"The news" has become a lens through which we see the world. The more we pay attention to "the news", the more bad we see, because that lens is focused on the bad. The less we pay attention to "the news" the more good we see; simply because there is much more of it.
I can see that.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 29 Dec 2020, 03:24

I was talking about the Book of Revelation the other say. I pointed out that there are so many interpretations of it.

I do not buy into the interpretation that the Book of Revelation is purely about the time it is written in. It is clearly a book of prophecy, looking towards the future. Nero does not fit all the attributes of Antichrist which are given in it.

What is the Beast or the Whore for example? A person, abstract idea, system or a particular group?

The Mark of the Beast is curiously absent from most Mormon eschatology, although it is prominent elsewhere (especially with recent events)

https://forum.staylds.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9716
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 29 Dec 2020, 03:29

Ilovechrist77 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 17:31
I can see that.
There is not much news on the news. Not only os it filtered down to what the producers of the news want you to hear about, it is editorialized too. My issue with US news in particular is it is so partisan, but that is the result of a two party system... None of the channels seem able to step outside it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 08 Jan 2021, 10:41

On Own Now wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 14:29
Ilovechrist77 wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 04:53
if there's so much good in the world, why does the news tend to be more bad then good?
This is one of the most important questions we can ask in our current seemingly crazy world.

IMO, it is this way because "the news" is big business... and 'good' doesn't sell the way 'bad' does. Once we accept that and stop letting "the news" control the way we view the world, then the world doesn't seem bad at all. The reality is that most people are good. Most things that take place in this world are good.
I believe not just the news has this strategy of sensationalism catches eyeballs.

I believe religion has learned this also. Therefore, fire, hell, and brimstone with fear of God's wrath can stir emotions to get people to worship easier than love and peace can. Talk of "us vs them" and the wicked world stirs emotion more than realizing the benefits of science and medicine from the world and all the good from other religions. I've been in too many lessons where Mormons want to talk about how lost other churches are to make themselves feel better.

It is sad but seems to be part of human nature.

It was sad this week to see white terrorists storming the capitol building and breaking glass and causing destruction, while waiving flags that read "Jesus 2020" and "Jesus Saves"

The news ate it up and reported it all, with lots of opinions.
And people calling themselves "Christians" were carrying confederate flags through the capitol.

When things become so emotional, mobs do illogical things. These mobs are a small percentage of the people, and there are more people denouncing it because it is just not right. There are good people out there.

there are more good people in the world speaking out against it. We can't let flashy headlines or fire and brimstone sermons cloud our vision of the truth that is out there and the good most people have.

Here is a good reminder that not all of 2020 is something bad to complain about, and not all news is bad:
https://reasonstobecheerful.world/the-year-in-cheer/

We just need to know where to look to find the good.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."