Is Sacrament Meeting being held anywhere but Utah?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
NoahVail

Re: Is Sacrament Meeting being held anywhere but Utah?

Post by NoahVail » 12 Aug 2020, 15:49

We started Sunday meetings over Zoom on Aug 2.
I have to say I like this a lot better than meeting in the chapel where the PA SYSTEM HAD BEEN VERY VERY LOUD FOR WELL OVER A YEAR.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Sep 2020, 09:54

We're moving from once a month to every other week starting this Sunday. The ward is divided in half alphabetically. Same rules as before, masks required, no singing, 30 minute meeting, etc. And it's still not "required" and sacrament at home is still authorized. Honestly I'm not excited.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

NoahVail

Post by NoahVail » 21 Sep 2020, 22:31

We're still Zoomy. Added a rotating 2nd hour (RS/EQ one week then SS/Pri). Some EQ participants are sporting hangover attire, while leaving their cam on.

The 1st Pres indicated they were cool with a more general opening but our stake hasn't made any moves there yet.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 22 Sep 2020, 06:24

Our ward will be doing PH & Sacrament Meetings starting this Sunday. No one in the church is saying how
this pandemic is affecting "us". Are there wards that have had outbreaks as a result of meeting too soon?
Our state has increased cases of the virus & increased deaths. This does not make sense to me.
I will not be going back until I feel safe.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Sep 2020, 07:35

Minyan Man wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 06:24
Our ward will be doing PH & Sacrament Meetings starting this Sunday. No one in the church is saying how
this pandemic is affecting "us". Are there wards that have had outbreaks as a result of meeting too soon?
Our state has increased cases of the virus & increased deaths. This does not make sense to me.
I will not be going back until I feel safe.
I think that's a really good question and concern. Based on the church's general behavior I would say that if there was a outbreak in a ward/stake we'd probably not know unless the media somehow got wind of it.

We did have a local church of another denomination with a massive outbreak leading to community spread and at least one death so far. The county health department did shut down the church, which is also controversial. This has been in the news almost every day for about 2 weeks since it came to light. In one of the news articles the county officials called the church uncooperative in the county's contact tracing efforts. That said, it also sounds as if this congregation was not taking precautions like social distancing and masks unlike what our ward is doing.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 22 Sep 2020, 09:27

I don't understand the aptitude or belief that says: "my right to worship at my church on Sunday is more important
than "our" (collective) health". It is also implied: "when I get sick & need to go to the hospital, someone must
take care of me & if you are exposed to the disease I carry, too bad". When did we loss our common sense?

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 22 Sep 2020, 09:31

My student ward at BYU has been having in-person sacrament meetings. And it sounds like they’re wanting to start in-person Sunday school soon despite the recent surge of cases here. I don’t feel safe, so I haven’t gone yet. I won’t be going back until either the pandemic is under control or they threaten to rescind my endorsement.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 22 Sep 2020, 12:48

I talked with a former Bishop of my ward & asked if he was going to go to church this Sunday. He said no.
The reason he gave was "they cannot enforce or guarantee social distancing". That makes sense to me.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 Oct 2020, 04:57

To my knowledge, outside North America, SM is still happening in NZ, UK, most of Scandinavia, most of Australia, Portugal, Brazil, Bolivia, ?Russia. There are restrictions on how many can go.

I think it isn't happening in Italy, not sure about Republic of Ireland. Victoria in Australia has extremely strict rules just now.

I have no info on Africa or Asia just now.

I would imagine the South Sea Islands still hold SM. I think they've been lucky in avoiding this.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Nov 2020, 11:16

Late response, but my small ward is back to alternate weeks of Sacrament Meeting in order to keep the numbers down and be able to socially distance.

Due to the restrictions of my job, I haven't attended for months - but I do join online Sunday School now and then when I can.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken