How will the Church change in light of the Covid Virus?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: How will the Church change in light of the Covid Virus?

Post by SamBee » 20 Oct 2020, 03:32

(I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if I repeat anything.)

At some point, people are going to start pushing back against these restrictions, they aren't already. It's certainly happening in the State of Victoria in Australia which has some of the most Draconian rules outside actual dictatorships. The premier of Victoria wanted to extend lockdown for two years, which would include not being able to travel more than 5 km (under 3 miles) in cities, and police entering your home without a warrant. Hostile press is forcing him to abandon this. This power has gone to the heads of some politicians and governments and we have to ask how much it is helping.

Very few younger people seem to get this disease badly, and there are also a certain number of people who have natural immunity. (Instead of going on about vaccines non-stop, we should be looking more at who has antibodies). The church has a large number of older people, but missionaries at an age where the risk to them is lower than certain other diseases or car crashes etc.

I am glad that HT/VT has been altered to include phone and email. That counts for something. The days of reading some correlated message in person are gone.

One consequence of these lockdowns is that we are going to see a lot more people on church welfare. The entire global economy is heading south and some of these measures are helping that. There are major financial institutions cynically trying to reform the economy on the back of this, but when the recession starts to bite, then it's a different matter.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Re: How will the Church change in light of the Covid Virus?

Post by SamBee » 20 Oct 2020, 03:34

LookingHard wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 05:50
Minyan Man wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 20:32
- Some family history & indexing working. (I found out I'm 9th cousin to Linda Ronstadt.)
What did you say when you found that out? Did you say of family history, "I't so easy" even though you looked for a "Long, long time"? :D
If you want a weird one, I found out that I'm related to an actor who appears on a TV show I was really into. 3rd or 4th cousin. Turns out he even looks a little like me, but I never noticed the resemblance until I found out about this - accidentally.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."