April 2020 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: April 2020 General Conference

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 17:47

Jean B. Bingham sunk the this is the year the women get the PH ship. :(

Her talk is a real skipper.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 17:50

Just so this is visible to people here...

Not to create anxiety or trigger people, but I've read some speculation that tomorrow's solemn assembly (with hosanna shout) will be to canonize scripture, possibly the family proclamation.

Solemn assemblies are usually only held for special occasions, canonization of scripture being one of them.

I'll take a wait and see approach.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 18:01

I read earlier this week a solemn assembly/hosanna shout was held during a GC commemorating the church's centennial. I had also forgotten it was done during the dedication of the conference center. Other than temple related stuff and those occasions it seems to not have been used. I think it is what he said it was, a commemoration of the event.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 04 Apr 2020, 18:02

Did anyone see Elder Uchtdorf? Maybe tomorrow.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 18:05

Good to know that there's precedent for doing solemn assemblies for the sake of anniversary celebrations. Fingers crossed.

DFU hasn't spoken yet. I believe Oaks is up next. Typically each apostle will speak at least once so I'd expect to hear from him tomorrow.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 18:05

Minyan Man wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 18:02
Did anyone see Elder Uchtdorf? Maybe tomorrow.
Yep, looks like tomorrow for him. After Eyring is Oaks, then very likely Nelson. I hope Uchtdorf will be more like Causse and Gong and won't let me down.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 18:32

There you have it. Session is over.

Re-splitting the hair of women having access to the PH but not holding offices in the PH - though one interpretation of the remarks (which seem to beat around the bush) is that in the future the church may be more open to women officiating in the PH under the direction of a man holding the keys? And another talk reiterating gender roles.

But hey, a new logo.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 18:34

Not the new initiative I was expecting. It has been a while with the now old logo though.

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 18:37

We wouldn't need another worldwide fast if the first one worked. Newsflash: this one won't work either. :twisted:

On a more positive note, RMN did broaden the definition of what constitutes a fast to be less Pharasaical and more in line with what other Christians believe fasting is. FWIW the Jewish "law of the fast" has nothing to do with answers to prayer and everything to do with helping those in need (which we call fast offerings).

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 18:40

I'm kinda dumbstruck. It's like a session that didn't even happen.

A logo and a fast. That's something that can be handled in an email.

In my mind there's one talk from each session:

Saturday morning: James R. Rasband
Saturday Afternoon: Gérald Caussé
Saturday night: Gong
— Hippocrates