April 2020 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
desertghost93

Re: April 2020 General Conference

Post by desertghost93 » 04 Apr 2020, 15:11

I nodded off during afternoon session. Any good talks worth reading?
You can’t base your knowledge of a church off-broadway plays and the media, or even comments from church members because there are millions of them and they are all different and have different opinions, just like everybody else in this world.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 15:13

Maybe Gérald Caussé's talk. The others are safe skippers.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

desertghost93

Post by desertghost93 » 04 Apr 2020, 15:16

Interesting because my parents who I watch conference with said it was a pretty dull session
You can’t base your knowledge of a church off-broadway plays and the media, or even comments from church members because there are millions of them and they are all different and have different opinions, just like everybody else in this world.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 17:12

Woah, regular schmoes are gonna give talks. Youth speakers.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 17:18

Elder Gong seems to be off to a good start centering on the Savior and reminding us redemption is for all of us then recognizing and explaining Palm Sunday. I'm going to stop and listen.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 17:18

...and the Easter talk derails and turns into another restoration talk.

He brought it back... you may want to pack up and go home after Gong's talk, end conference on a good one. ;)
— Hippocrates

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Apr 2020, 17:34

I didn't listen at all. I have been busy online. But I find it ironic that the church made all these Facebook invitations to "Come Hear the Word" if you are missing church, etc. and they couldn't scrap the restoration stuff.

We are in the middle of a freakin' life altering world effected pandemic - Can't we just do Jesus? Record all the Joseph talks separately roll them out online (right next to the essays).

If I were in charge that's what I'd do. Also Just one day of Conference. Not 2.

Crawling back in my hole.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 17:37

Probably because all the talks go through a month or more of correlation and translation for broadcast. The church may not be agile enough to react to current events during conference.

Nelson may eventually give an off-the-cuff talk and address it then.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 17:41

nibbler wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 17:18
...and the Easter talk derails and turns into another restoration talk.

He brought it back... you may want to pack up and go home after Gong's talk, end conference on a good one. ;)
Overall I liked Gong. A welcome break from most of the rest of the day.

The youth speakers are youth speakers. I didn't get much out of the things they "know" or promises they made. Who the heck are they go promise anything?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Apr 2020, 17:46

Preface: the youth did a good job. A million times better than I could have done at that age. It probably helped that there weren't 20K people in the audience. :P

Now...

I think the whole point of the youth speakers was for youth retention. "There is someone like me giving a talk during general conference." And of course the young woman and young man are exemplars. Models for how the youth should be and the type of testimony they should have.
— Hippocrates