April 2020 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: April 2020 General Conference

Post by Roy » 05 Apr 2020, 11:34

nibbler wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 17:47
Jean B. Bingham sunk the this is the year the women get the PH ship. :(

Her talk is a real skipper.
I mainly saw the youth speakers and Sister Bingham's talk. I felt that the youth did well considering. The young man seamed really sweaty but that may have just been the bright lights and had me wondering if he could use some stage makeup. I liked the young woman's use of her patriarchal blessing in hard times to offer comfort and motivation. I imagine that most young people (and older people) could use a reminder that their life will turn out ok if they keep on keeping on. It can serve as a personal "it get's better" to take out and read in times of need.

I agree that Sister Bingham's talk had some issues. I believe that she said something about in the beginning men and women were different in purpose but equal in value. She mentioned the word complementary of complementarian several times. Then the apostacy or the natural main or Satan came in and convinced men to subjugate women. But then the restoration happened and women were equals again.

This had me scratching my head. Is she really trying to hold out the LDS church as some sort of beacon for female equality? What about polygamy?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » 05 Apr 2020, 12:07

Takeaways from this morning's session.

Holland's talk was great. Worth a second listen.

Oaks has no sense of rhythm. Worth a second watch. You might laugh.

Everything else was same ol same ol, or complete must misses.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 05 Apr 2020, 12:23

I wish the call to fast came along with some practical advice, like take social distancing seriously. People in my neighborhood are still going over to friends' houses to hang. The highway near my house still has way too much traffic going up and down it.
Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJSfz7POzM8
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mom3

Post by mom3 » 05 Apr 2020, 12:31

"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Apr 2020, 13:38

Oaks just can't let it be. He could easily have gotten through that talk about the plan of salvation without any reference to gay marriage. At least anyone else probably could have. Long live Pres. Nelson.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Apr 2020, 13:42

Elder Cook spoke about us. Hat tip that he acknowledges some challenges to faith are not answered.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Apr 2020, 13:44

Two apostles have yet to speak - Uchtdorf and Christofferson.

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Apr 2020, 13:47

I have a less optimistic take on Cook's comments. Acknowledgement is one thing, but there were no specifics. We have to go beyond the words, "There's a place for you." and truly enact cultural changes.

Similar to my comments on Holland's talk. We have to do work on both sides of the veil/divide. You can't just say, "There's a place for you." and expect the departed to return. WE have to make changes. Church has to become a place people want to return to.

Nelson has made comments during this conference that reiterate the common orthodox theme, "If you don't agree with our doctrines you're being led by Satan." We all just heard Oaks being Oaks. That's not a church I'd expect some departed to want to come back to. Heck, it's partially why people have left.

"With us, but in the corner." is not an acceptable place for people we've alienated.

Sigh.

I know... preaching to the choir. Sorry.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Apr 2020, 13:50

I agree, Nibbler, and otherwise Cook was very run-of-mill.

My Introduction

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 05 Apr 2020, 13:51

We will welcome you back no questions asked. Therein is the problem I have with the church. When you can ask me about and acknowledge my problem and offer reconciliation we can talk. If you want to ignore my issue and disregard my feelings then my trust continues at the cautious level.

Sorry, thinking out loud.