Somewhat Reduced Participation

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Somewhat Reduced Participation

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Dec 2019, 19:05

Everyone,

I have been actively involved here for 11 years. In that time, I have written over 16,000 posts and comments. Since this group was formed, almost exactly 1/8 of all posts and comments have been mine. This has not been and isn't "my site" in any way, but I have been a primary voice for over a decade.

My life right now is such that I need to reduce my participation somewhat. I am not leaving, nor am I withdrawing significantly in dedication, passion, spirit, or participation. I hope to continue to check in most days and read the posts and comments. I simply can't continue the past level of participation.

I thought about doing so without a formal announcement, but I felt a need to be open about the change. I love this group and have tried to help people accept themselves and their own attempts to find proper balances that can bring increased peace and joy. I know it has appeared to some people that I have "figured out all this stuff" (as one friend told me recently), so it is important that I state publicly I have not done so. I believe I never will - hoping that my journey will be one of never-ending changes and alterations as I try to accept "eternal progress" as a practical goal, not just an aspiration for life after death.

I have viewed the last 11 years as a mission or calling of my own choosing. I still see it that way, but I need to walk away from it as a "full-time" mission/calling and move to simple participation.

So, this is not, "Good-bye." It is, "See you a little less often." It simply is my attempt to be open about my current journey.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Esportswatcher

Re: Somewhat Reduced Participation

Post by Esportswatcher » 11 Dec 2019, 19:48

Curt I have enjoyed reading your comments over the past few years and I am grateful for your participation. I wish you the best with this new phase in life and I am glad to hear that you'll still be around a bit. To have been active hear for 11 years is quite a feat and especially have almost 1/8 of all site participation be your own. :clap:

But seriously, thank you for being here. This site helps a lot of people that never post/make accounts. Like how I was for years before there was a topic that I just had to comment on. :think: Even though I've moved on from participating at an LDS church this site helps me to navigate the online LDS communities I still participate in and not get too annoyed people.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 11 Dec 2019, 19:48

May your new journey be wonderful. Thanks for letting us know. Merry Christmas.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 12 Dec 2019, 01:08

Curt Sunshine, I'm grateful you'll still be with us, even if it will less than you used to be. Thank you so very much for your advice when I thought couldn't get through my faith crisis in one piece. I definitely don't have everything figured out yet, but I feel much more at peace with myself and my relationship with God. Thank you so much. You and your family have a merry Christmas.

Roy

Post by Roy » 12 Dec 2019, 12:40

Thank you Curt. You (and others here [some that have since moved on]) were a life saver for me when I was in a true freefall of Faith Crisis.

There are now a number of us moderators that can help the new comers and continue the work.

Many hands make for light work. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

REBEL2

Post by REBEL2 » 12 Dec 2019, 14:28

Thanks for sharing Curt. Merry Christmas!!!!!

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Dec 2019, 17:09

Thanks for all you have done. You have made a difference in my life and I am sure have done so for many others. I look forward to our continued relationship even if we "see" each other less often - such it is with many friendships. May God continue to bless you and yours and may you find a path to the peace you seek. Merry Christmas and Happy New year.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 15 Dec 2019, 05:58

God bless! You've always been a voice of reason to my mind. I'm glad you will still chime in from time to time.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---