My Talk - Becoming a Witness of Christ

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Kipper

My Talk - Becoming a Witness of Christ

Post by Kipper » 04 Dec 2019, 05:46

I'm speaking in Sacrament Dec 15th based on a 2008 Ensign article Becoming a Witness of Christ By Elder D. Todd Christofferson. I've started to lay it out and I'm thinking of examples I can use from the New Testament and other scriptures to cover some ancient witnesses then some examples from this dispensation including JS and those around us all while weaving my way through Elder Christorfferson's talk. There's a little overlap between being a witness and being a missionary with the main difference being set apart to proselytize. Being a witness I think means knowing Christ and being Christ like in your actions and how you express yourself and obviously would include bearing testimony of Christ's Atonement when presented with opportunity. You can be a witness to Church members as well as non-members without acting in a missionary capacity. Since I agreed to the topic I've been conscious of my demeanor and look for opportunities, or more like don't shy away from being open about being a follower in a natural way. I feel I can do this talk without exposing my FC situation. I attend my meetings every Sunday with DW, read scriptures daily and am currently the ward clerk however I've sort of become a background observer most of the time. I sense that people are aware of my change and with a few exceptions keep me at arms length instead of asking what's in my head. But that's a completely different topic.

Any input would be welcome.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... t?lang=eng

mom3

Re: My Talk - Becoming a Witness of Christ

Post by mom3 » 04 Dec 2019, 11:58

I would drench it in Christmas and Christ only.

The problem with handing someone a talk is we feel obligated to use it. Don't.

At this season, you could use the analogy of a shepherd or a wise man looking for him. You could use the churches new Nativity video and spin off of that.

Take Luke 2 apart and share it. Tons of material there.

Ignore the Mormon and Missionary parts. I think you are spot on for being "natural" -

Keep us posted.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Post by Roy » 04 Dec 2019, 17:27

And as we emulate that pattern, we bear witness of Him.
I recall the example of a Catholic priest I came to know as we worked together in community service activities in Nashville, Tennessee. Father Charles Strobel developed a project to bring homeless men off the street a few at a time into a training program that provided life skills and vocational opportunities for them. He devoted untold hours to helping these men make permanent changes for the better and become self-reliant. I was surprised to learn that his mother had been killed by a homeless man not many years earlier. Father Strobel’s Christlike love extended even to men among whom was found one who had violently taken his precious mother’s life.
This is taken form the talk. It is neat that it is a non-member example of being a witness of Christ. You could quote this and also reference ministering, charity and volunteer work, the Salvation Army soup kitchens, and the "Light the World" giving machines and initiatives the church has been promoting the last few Christmases.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 04 Dec 2019, 23:03

<QUOTE author="Roy" post_id="135327" time="1575505620" user_id="3174"><s>
Roy wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:27
</s>
This is taken form the talk. It is neat that it is a non-member example of being a witness of Christ. You could quote this and also reference ministering, charity and volunteer work, the Salvation Army soup kitchens, and the "Light the World" giving machines and initiatives the church has been promoting the last few Christmases.
<e>
This is great, I had some of that in mind to look around and see different witnesses who make a difference in the name of Christ. I will use Christmas themes, symbols and stories to bring it into season too. Something to wake up the youth too, like the end of the Polar Express. I actually carry a bell with me in my coat pocket that I can hear and it reminds me of the Holy Ghost being around.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 05 Dec 2019, 12:23

I actually carry a bell with me in my coat pocket that I can hear and it reminds me of the Holy Ghost being around.
Very nice.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman