New Young Men Theme

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
QuestionAbound

New Young Men Theme

Post by QuestionAbound » 21 Nov 2019, 10:54

Did anyone else catch that the new YM theme states that
"I am a beloved son of God" ?

Whereas the new YW theme states that
"I am a beloved daughter of heavenly parents"
which is a change from stating: "We are daughters of our Heavenly Father" ?

The YW have been brought forward into having "heavenly parents" and the YW are now where the YW once were with being sons of God.
Just interesting to me. :think:

Full YM theme:
I am a beloved son of God, and He has a work for me to do.

With all my heart, might, mind, and strength, I will love God, keep my covenants, and use His priesthood to serve others, beginning in my own home.

As I strive to serve, exercise faith, repent, and improve each day, I will qualify to receive temple blessings and the enduring joy of the gospel.

I will prepare to become a diligent missionary, loyal husband, and loving father by being a true disciple of Jesus Christ.

I will help prepare the world for the Savior’s return by inviting all to come unto Christ and receive the blessings of His Atonement.

Full YW theme:
I am a beloved daughter of heavenly parents, with a divine nature and eternal destiny.

As a disciple of Jesus Christ, I strive to become like Him. I seek and act upon personal revelation and minister to others in His holy name.

I will stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places.

As I strive to qualify for exaltation, I cherish the gift of repentance and seek to improve each day. With faith, I will strengthen my home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, and receive the ordinances and blessings of the holy temple.

Roy

Re: New Young Men Theme

Post by Roy » 21 Nov 2019, 14:58

Yes, I did notice.

On the whole the YM theme seems much more masculine and action focused. It uses the phrase "I will" 4 times (double the amount of "I will" contained in the YW theme). It also uses the word "serve" twice when the YW theme did not use it at all.

Son of God = Father to Son = Man to man. "He has a work for me to do". I have a duty, an obligation, a work. Put your shoulder to the wheel and lengthen your stride. Contrast this with the "divine nature and eternal destiny" of the YW theme.

"With all my heart, might, mind, and strength, I will love God, keep my covenants" again very ambitious and action oriented. No room for failure there.

"and use His priesthood to serve others, beginning in my own home." I believe this is the male equivalent to the phrase "With faith, I will strengthen my home and family". Some interesting comparisons include that men use the priesthood of God while women use faith. Maybe that had some small part in deciding not to open with a statement of Holy Parents. Does Heavenly Mother have authority? Can She delegate this authority to mortals to act in Her name or in the name of the Holy Couple. If the theme had started out talking about heavenly parents and then made reference to using the priesthood of HF would that imply that HM doesn't have authority? Maybe they just decided to avoid the whole discussion by omitting all reference to HM.

I also find it interesting that boys serve others "beginning in my own home." Home is a starting point or proving ground for service elsewhere in the kingdom. For women, I believe that strengthening home and family is intended to be more all inclusive - the primary focus of their service. Or at least, home and family do not appear to have the same springboard connotation that it does in the YM theme.

"As I strive to serve, exercise faith, repent, and improve each day, I will qualify" vs. "As I strive to qualify for exaltation, I cherish the gift of repentance and seek to improve each day." I find this mostly equivalent. Perhaps there is a more action emphasis on the male "strive to repent" over the more female "cherish the gift of repentance."
QuestionAbound wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 10:54
I will prepare to become a diligent missionary, loyal husband, and loving father by being a true disciple of Jesus Christ.
As mentioned in another thread, I am not in love with the insertion of a promise to become a missionary. In our church men face an obligation and expectation to serve as missionaries that women do not face. I believe that this double standard is traditional but not scriptural or doctrinal. My son has autism (perhaps would formerly classified as aspergers) and I doubt full time missionary service is an option for him. I do not want to set him up for failure. The way it is written the focus is on the roles - I will become a missionary, a husband, a father. The qualifier comes later to do so through discipleship of Jesus. Contrast this with the statement from the YW theme. "As a disciple of Jesus Christ, I strive to become like Him. I seek and act upon personal revelation and minister to others in His holy name."

I do believe that women's issues and sensitivities being what they are the church would have seen pushback if they were to include language about the women becoming loyal wives and loving mothers.
QuestionAbound wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 10:54
I will help prepare the world for the Savior’s return by inviting all to come unto Christ and receive the blessings of His Atonement.
This again is action oriented with worldwide ambition and a heavy missionary bent. This appears to be the male equivalent to "I will stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 21 Nov 2019, 15:23

Towards the positive.

1) I do believe that there is some benefit to giving men priesthood to keep them engaged in the work of church community, home and family. In some communities these are seen as unmanly and more feminine pursuits. I believe that the LDS church priesthood community is the antithesis of this and tends to socialize boys into become good family men. I believe that this is underscored by the references to (family and community) service, and then goals of becoming a loyal husband and loving father.

2) I seriously disliked the addition of "purity" to the young women values with the emphasis almost exclusively on sexual purity (and premarital virginity that tends to be disproportionately focused on women). Because we made such a fanfare in unveiling purity as the new YW value it would be difficult to delete it and doing so would probably spawn conversations that the church would rather avoid. IMHO the church significantly damaged the YW values by adding the word purity ... so much so that the best solution was to start again with something fresh. I am very happy that the new YW theme doesn't make any references to sexual purity, morality, "moral influence" or any other sexual euphemisms.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 26 Nov 2019, 13:53

I can't help but continue to conclude that we are led by idiots. Gender essentialist idiots.