Are we really that different?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Re: Are we really that different?

Post by mom3 » 29 Dec 2018, 19:38

Where I think it will start to get some members thinking about what it means is simply the sheer number of changes made so quickly because it draws attention to Nelson as the common denominator.
My mom brought this very thing up.

Her exact words were, "It's not like we need a course correction like the Catholic Church and it's predator scandal. So why all the shifting."

My mom is nearly 80. Change isn't something most 80 year old's do well. She is worried about her 80 year old friends and the loss of the world they have known the past 30+ years.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 30 Dec 2018, 08:33

Nelson has been unleashed. :angel:
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Roy

Post by Roy » 31 Dec 2018, 11:26

mom3 wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 19:38
My mom is nearly 80. Change isn't something most 80 year old's do well. She is worried about her 80 year old friends and the loss of the world they have known the past 30+ years.
This is exactly why the changes exite me. We have become so complacent, so sedentary, and status quo as to assume that the church already has all the answers. This has carried on for so long that sometimes individuals feel that revelation is needed to change things that began as simple church policies (hint, hint, Priesthood and Temple restriction).

The church needs to change in order to stay relevant and I do not think one or two major changes every 50-80 years or so will be enough.

That is precisely why I believe that these changes are exciting. They get people used to seeing changes incrimentally that they do not necessarily disagree with so that they will be less shocked if a larger change happens.

In church history discussions we talk about "innoculation". The current changes could be a form of innoculation to prepare the current membership for the types of moves the church will need to make in the future.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13