11-Year-Old Deacons and Beehives

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
On Own Now

11-Year-Old Deacons and Beehives

Post by On Own Now » 14 Dec 2018, 11:33

The Church has made a pretty major announcement:

https://www.lds.org/church/news/age-cha ... d?lang=eng

In part:
Beginning in January 2019, children will complete Primary and begin attending Sunday School and the Beehive class or deacons quorum as age-groups, not on their individual 12th birthdays as they have in the past.

In addition, young men will be eligible to be ordained to a priesthood office in January of the year they turn 12, 14, and 16, and youth will be eligible to obtain a limited-use temple recommend beginning in January of the year they turn 12—based on their “individual worthiness, readiness, and personal circumstances.”
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

dande48

Re: 11-year old Deacons and Beehives

Post by dande48 » 14 Dec 2018, 11:43

That's super interesting. Growing up, I always thought that the age for getting the priesthood, and advancing in the offices, was tied to unchanging, doctrinal revelation. Turns out, it is just policy that can be changed whenever "those in charge" see fit. This change does make quite a lot more sense.

On a semi-related note, I wonder what it would take to change the D&C revelation that kids be baptized at age 8. If I were in charge, I'd bump up the age of accountability to 16.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Dec 2018, 11:45

I'm guessing the rationale was to get the youth synced up into the same groups for Sundays where they do SS and Sundays where they do YM/YW.

Currently a kid that was at a boundary age attends SS with other kids that have a birthday sometime during the calendar year but kids came and went from YM/YW quorum to YM/YW quorum based on their actual birthday. It creates a scenario where you hang with a different group during the 2nd and 3rd hours.

Under the two hour block kids will alternate classes and my guess is that this was done to:

1) Have the kids interact with the same group each week, which builds unity.
2) Go ahead and ordain younger kids to the AP so they don't feel like the odd man out, as would be the case if they had the 11 year olds meet with the deacons and wait until they turn 12 to ordain them.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Dec 2018, 11:50

dande48 wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 11:43
That's super interesting. Growing up, I always thought that the age for getting the priesthood, and advancing in the offices, was tied to unchanging, doctrinal revelation. Turns out, it is just policy that can be changed whenever "those in charge" see fit.
Some (truncated ;) ) history on that subject:

https://www.lds.org/new-era/2000/01/now ... priesthood
In 1900 there was no official age schedule for ordinations in the Aaronic Priesthood. It wasn’t until 1908 that a schedule was set: young men served as deacons from 12 to 15, teachers from 15 to 18, and priests from 18 to 21 (see General Priesthood Committee Minute Book, no. 6281, 13–15). In 1934, the age at which a youth could be ordained an elder was changed to 19 (Journal History, 29 Dec. 1934, 10), and in 1954 the schedule for ordinations was changed to what it is now (Improvement Era, Nov. 1954, 834–35).
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

AmyJ

Re: 11-Year-Old Deacons and Beehives

Post by AmyJ » 14 Dec 2018, 11:56

That all makes sense.

However, I am not sure how I feel about my future "young" barely 11 year old daughter going to the temple to do Baptisms for the Dead. There are so many ways it can go wrong - from the long car rides to and from, the sitting there waiting, the clothes changing situation. This is assuming that she wants to go/caves into pressure to go...

So Options:
A) Keep Temple Recommend Updated (not my plan)
B) Send DD with Hubby (not a great option)
C) Send DD with Youth Leaders (could get interesting)
D) Politely refuse to let DD go and risk the social fallout

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 Dec 2018, 12:44

nibbler wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 11:45
I'm guessing the rationale was to get the youth synced up into the same groups for Sundays where they do SS and Sundays where they do YM/YW.

Currently a kid that was at a boundary age attends SS with other kids that have a birthday sometime during the calendar year but kids came and went from YM/YW quorum to YM/YW quorum based on their actual birthday. It creates a scenario where you hang with a different group during the 2nd and 3rd hours.

Under the two hour block kids will alternate classes and my guess is that this was done to:

1) Have the kids interact with the same group each week, which builds unity.
2) Go ahead and ordain younger kids to the AP so they don't feel like the odd man out, as would be the case if they had the 11 year olds meet with the deacons and wait until they turn 12 to ordain them.
My take on it as well. The (now) old system had plenty of pitfalls. Back in the day when I was YMP there was a boy whose birthday was like January 15. So, since he was in Primary on Jan. 1 he stayed in Primary for "Sunday School" that whole year (Bishop was a letter of the law kind of guy) and went to priesthood starting middle of January. He was the only boy who turned 12 that year, but his friend, whose birthday happened to be in Dec., turned 12 right before him and got to leave Primary, etc.

So this new policy will solve those kinds of issues.

Just as a side, when I get particularly annoyed with the people who want to vehemently assert that the church has been restored to exactly the way it was when Jesus formed the original church I like to bring up those 12 year old deacons the Bible talks so much about. :twisted:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 14 Dec 2018, 12:55

This is one of those "The More Things Change, The More They Stay the Same."

In the 1970's advancement ran pretty close to this. You went with your school grade. It wasn't by birthdate or ordination. Then in the 1980's, when we moved to the 3 hour block they implemented the birthday advancement plan. I was one of the January birthdays DJ speaks of. So much fun. Really.

My favorite part of moments like these are all the F&T talks about how "inspired" this is. Really? Not? It's a do-over.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Dec 2018, 14:01

I like it. Makes a lot of sense.

There will be youth who are not ready and youth who are super ready - just like there are now. There will be downsides for individuals, but I see no collective downside.

Revelation? Probably not. Inspiration? Definitely could be. Recycling? Yep. Do I care? No. I like it, so I am happy about it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Dec 2018, 14:15

dande48 wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 11:43
That's super interesting. Growing up, I always thought that the age for getting the priesthood, and advancing in the offices, was tied to unchanging, doctrinal revelation. Turns out, it is just policy that can be changed whenever "those in charge" see fit. This change does make quite a lot more sense.

On a semi-related note, I wonder what it would take to change the D&C revelation that kids be baptized at age 8. If I were in charge, I'd bump up the age of accountability to 16.
16's too high IMHO.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » 14 Dec 2018, 17:07

The first thing I thought when I saw this was that now kids are going to experience worthiness interviews at a younger age. With the bishop arrested in Draper this week who was taking advantage of youth, reportedly under the guise of conversations about masturbation, this seems pretty ill-timed.