Mormon Primer: The Examination of the Controversial Issues

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DBMormon

Mormon Primer: The Examination of the Controversial Issues

Post by DBMormon » 01 May 2017, 08:18

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... Primer.pdf

Introduction:
The major aim of writing this article is to display various perspectives on Mormonism’s most controversial issues. Herein, we share the Orthodox, Apologetic, Critical, and Progressive viewpoints together with resources helpful to the reader at the end of each chapter, that the reader may explore each issue further.
=====================

My effort with the work above was to create a document that could be shared without being seen as anti or negative, cover the major issues so as to expose the problematic issues in a way that a loved one could hear it and also grasp by the end the messiness of Mormonism and hence be more empathetic to the struggle. I also wanted to provide the info in a very short consolidated way while leaving a breadcrumb trail into the deeper dives and down the rabbit hole of Mormonism. I welcome any feedback.... positive or negative. This took me several months and I truly did it to provide a shareable document that would help one in a faith transition safely tell a part of their story without being labeled.

Reuben

Re: Mormon Primer: The Examination of the Controversial Issues

Post by Reuben » 01 May 2017, 08:59

I'm enjoying it so far. No other feedback to give yet.

Have you given it a test run with orthodox members?
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 01 May 2017, 12:09

Without having read any of it yet, I would suggest a simple but important change to the title. I would make it "Mormon Primer: An Examination of Controversial Issues".

The first "The" makes it seem to be claiming to be the best or one, true examination, and the second "the" makes it seem to be saying the topics covered are exhaustive (all of the controversial issues).

It is a little thing, but I think it is important.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 May 2017, 13:12

I also enjoyed it. However, I am thinking that it might be too much too fast for most people.

When I talk to TBM's about faith crises and LDS history I tend to use the story of the "fine china" smashed for the exterior of the Kirtland temple or the miracle of the seagulls on the great Salt Lake. These stories have the advantage or being fairly widespread but also not being the pillar of an individual's faith. I then say that these stories or myths are not really examples of lying or anyone's fault. They changed, grew, and picked up embellishments as they went along. Church leaders and others repeated them from what they themselves had been told and at some point they made it into our manuals and teaching material.

Now we find through more academic methods that the accounts we grew up on are not fully accurate.

I see this as emblematic with what I see with much of LDS history.

I stop there. Hopefully there can be a glimmer of understanding without defensiveness.

I do not believe that I would be able to share your document with a TBM in my life. I fear that they would label the document anti (and thus discredit it) or it would crush their faith. BoM and PofGP not historical? Folk magic and treasure digging? Endowment borrowed from Masons? JS and others behaving very questionably in regards to plural marriage? Even the record of the ministry of JC as found in the NT on shaky ground?

I am just having difficulty imagining a context where I could give someone a copy and say, "hey check this out and let me know what you think."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 01 May 2017, 14:50

This is quite a task you've undertaken! I've been very impressed with what I've read so far. There are still plenty of controversial issues which are not addressed, but you've covered a lot of the big ones. My only suggestion would be to change the format. Listing four different "thought camps" really limits people into the four camps. There are those who do not fit their viewpoints into any sections. And many members of the church view those who are not "orthodox" as apostate. It would be best to focus on the common ground, as well as factual evidence.
Last edited by dande48 on 20 May 2017, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 01 May 2017, 15:38

Do I think this is a good effort and of significant value? Yes.

Would I share it, in totality, with any member (orthodox or not) who is happy and not struggling with his or her faith? Absolutely not.

Why not? Even if I was an avid dove hunter, I wouldn't use a shotgun at close range.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken