30-minute rule... a sign of lowering income?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
amateurparent

Re: 30-minute rule... a sign of lowering income?

Post by amateurparent » 25 Dec 2016, 21:23

Locally, the stake center is used for Sunday meetings by only wards within the stake. All other buildings are fair game for mixing units from different stakes.

As newlyweds, we lived someplace where we could travel 90 minutes south and still be in our ward. The stake center was an hour north in another state. Stake meetings had most people traveling over an hour to attend. Some leaders had a 2.5 hour each way drive. My visiting teaching route had me going 26 miles one direction and then 30 miles another direction to see someone else. It was a real effort to see everyone. I do not miss all that driving.

In comparison, in the SLC area, my daughter had her HTs stop by without any notice. It was late in the evening on Dec 23. She has been in the ward since May and this was their first visit. Her ward covers 3 blocks. Lazy Ass Home Teachers.

People will make whatever efforts or excuses needed in order to live the life they choose to live. A 30 minute rule isn't going to improve attendance for many. It just changes the excuses that they use.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 25 Dec 2016, 21:31

amateurparent wrote: People will make whatever efforts or excuses needed in order to live the life they choose to live. A 30 minute rule isn't going to improve attendance for many. It just changes the excuses that they use.
This ^^^
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Dec 2016, 11:03

Amen, ap.

We are not in UT, but we live less than 10 minutes from the church and temple (next to each other) - which is further than a lot of members in our ward. Sunday attendance is good; temple attendance is spotty.

People do what people really want to do deep down, and the reasons are complicated. That complication is the main reason I try to remember not to judge.

Motes and beams and all that jazz.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 26 Dec 2016, 12:11

SilentDawning wrote:The Church can't send me anywhere I don't want to go. Including my own Ward that is within 5 minutes of my house if they mismanage relationships, fail to make it safe from bullying, or other problems that make me unwilling to attend any ward at any time, at any location.

If they enforce their rules by withholding privileges, then they lose my volunteer labor and sometimes, even my financial support. It only weakens the church.

I think part of Staying LDS is found in recognizing you have a lot more control over your destiny than many would have you believe.
Well said.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 26 Dec 2016, 23:23

From my limited vantage point the church spends whatever money it wants on priorities it deems highest. If all its commercial ventures are successful I think tithing would be dwarfed by business profits.

Based on that I believe the 30 minutes rule is a product of wanting to save money but not that income from all sources is lower.

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 28 Dec 2016, 20:01

Back when the ward budgets were centralized, our far-flung ward was told that when we did church-related activities, we were supposed to turn in reciepts for things like gas for our travel. People did turn in reciepts when they traveled far distances for driving youth to stake activities, etc.

I'm wondering if Church research showed that people don't turn in reciepts for distances that were less than 30 minutes.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.