October 2016 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Joni

Re: October 2016 General Conference

Post by Joni » 01 Oct 2016, 10:53

And he wins for the "tmeax" heard round the world.
I just screamed at my husband, HOW DID YOU NOT HEAR THAT???!!!

Because he's half asleep, is how.

Ann

Post by Ann » 01 Oct 2016, 10:59

"Sweet Hour of Prayer" as postlude.

Pray on. Radiate the light of the gospel. Weary not.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 01 Oct 2016, 11:02

Joni wrote:Oh great. The first talk I'm able to listen to is Joseph Smith worshipping.
Curt Sunshine wrote:Joni, there has to be at least one. I accept that as axiomatic. It's an orthodox talk for the orthodox members. It's cool.
Yes and an acknowledgement of people saying bad things about Joseph and how they are wrong but we won't say how seems to be an element of every such talk now. Speak your peace about Joseph, tell everyone how great you think he is, but please refrain from aligning orthodox members of the church against family members that speak their truth.

No one is a Judas this time though. Baby steps.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Ann

Post by Ann » 01 Oct 2016, 11:19

nibbler wrote:Yes and an acknowledgement of people saying bad things about Joseph and how they are wrong but we won't say how seems to be an element of every such talk now.
All my specific concerns get dismissed with the vague, general idea that Joseph, like me, wasn't perfect.
Speak your peace about Joseph, tell everyone how great you think he is, but please refrain from aligning orthodox members of the church against family members that speak their truth.

No one is a Judas this time though. Baby steps.
So this speaker didn't refrain, but the one who said Judas did. It's individual baby steps?
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Oct 2016, 12:55

Yes, perhaps it is individual baby steps - but let's not forget the publication of the Jospeh Smith Papers and the Council of Fifty minutes. It's not all baby steps - and the Church as an organization has taken and is taking large steps in some important areas.

It still isn't the massive steps many (and most, if not all, here) want, but they are large steps nonetheless.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ann

Post by Ann » 01 Oct 2016, 13:11

Saturday Afternoon

I like the "Amen" added to "Joseph Smith's First Prayer."

Joni

Post by Joni » 01 Oct 2016, 13:25

I'm not finding Cook's talk to be particularly helpful.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 01 Oct 2016, 13:26

lol Cook.

It's a skipper.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 01 Oct 2016, 13:27

After the talk about Joseph Smith (the third or fourth speaker), I had heard enough and went mountain biking to seek peace. I listened to Israel Kamakawiwo`ole during my drive. Check out my pics from Diamond Fork, Spanish Fork Canyon:

Joni

Post by Joni » 01 Oct 2016, 13:29

'Gospel extremism' is when you elevate one aspect of the gospel above all others. Kind of like what we do with The Family?