October 2016 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

October 2016 General Conference

Post by nibbler » 24 Sep 2016, 17:56

The General Women' Session is tonight. It snuck up on me this year, which isn't surprising. It still feels like the dead of summer outside. Isn't there supposed to be cooler weather in the northern hemisphere during October conference?

Anyway...

I missed the first 20 minutes (I mentioned that it snuck up on me). There was one talk that shared an idea that I really want to unpack and get people's ideas on. I'll revisit it when there's a transcript that I can quote from.

I'd recommend skipping Bonnie Oscarson's talk. It's going to be an "Everything People Don't Like About the Modern Church 101" for some people.

We all hear different things, for me Uchtdorf's talk was one step forward, two steps back. There were good parts, there were parts that left me scratching my head, and there were parts that I think may be counterproductive for some people.

I missed a few talks but of those I heard, the topic of a faith crisis was addressed by multiple speakers.

I have a side question, I think I've asked before but I forgot the answer. Why do they invite 8 year olds and above and not 12 year olds and above like the Priesthood Session? Keep it to the YW and RS organizations?
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

mom3

Re: October 2016 General Conference

Post by mom3 » 24 Sep 2016, 23:29

Thanks Nibbler for getting us rolling. I also forgot, too. Below is the Trib's synopsis. A quick run through most of the major blogs shows we all took the weekend off.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4386825-155/ ... age-family

And as to the 8 years old. I have never gotten it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Sep 2016, 05:10

I commented on SD's thread about Pres. Uchtdorf's talk and will look at the session later because we missed it (we were on our way home from a wedding during the session). I don't get the 8-year-old thing either - but I'm sure there are lots of 8, 9, 10, and 11 year old boys who are not the least bit upset about it.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 25 Sep 2016, 09:02

Including the 8 year olds is because women are seen as children and since there's only one thing for women to do in this life (give birth to priesthood holders) why not include them from age 8 on up?

Pres. Oscarson's talk had me thinking. It's like telling people "breakfast is the most important meal of the day," and defining that as a hot breakfast including eggs, sausage or bacon, toast, hash browns and juice. We tell them this every single time we see them, no matter the time of day or whether they eat breakfast every day or not. We reinforce that a granola bar is not breakfast. Cold cereal is just cheating your family. No, the only real breakfast is a hot breakfast with eggs, sausage or bacon, toast, hash browns and juice. Some people like to think they can skip breakfast, but they missing out on the most important meal of the day. Some claim they have so-called gluten intolerance and can't eat toast, but they are settling for Satan's lies and counterfeits when they don't eat toast. Ad nauseum. It's putting me off my breakfast, I tell ya! I no longer want to eat anything.

So it is with this incessant drum beat of traditional family. I'm a heterosexual woman, married 25 years with 3 children. I honestly can't stomach one more talk about it. SHUT UP ALREADY.

If we spent the amount of time talking about things Jesus actually talked about, maybe we'd win more converts and improve more lives. People aren't avoiding marriage and children because we aren't talking about it enough.

I asked my daughter (age 13) if she was going to watch the Women's broadcast with some of our friends (I had a conflict). She said "What for? All they are going to talk about is how I'm supposed to be a mother." Guess what? She's totally on board with being a mother one day. She's not avoiding the meeting because she doesn't plan to have kids. She's avoiding it because they never talk about anything else. It's boring and pointless.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 25 Sep 2016, 09:48

I'll quote from an article in another thread because the talk hasn't been transcribed yet:
"I worry that we live in such an atmosphere of avoiding offense that we sometimes altogether avoid teaching correct principles," Bonnie L. Oscarson, president of the church's Young Women organization, told the general women's session of the fall General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"We fail to teach our young women that preparing to be a mother is of utmost importance because we don't want to offend those who aren't married, those who can't have children or to be seen as stifling future choices. On the other hand, we may also fail to emphasize the importance of education because we don't want to send the message that it is more important than marriage," Oscarson said. "We avoid declaring that our Heavenly Father defines marriage as being between a man and woman because we don't want to offend those who experience same-sex attraction. And we may find it uncomfortable to discus gender issues or healthy sexuality."
It's a matter of perspectives but I think we worry so much about teaching correct principles that we altogether avoid mourning with those who morn. It's mourn with those who mourn, not Morm with those who Morm.

I don't mean to talk politics but it feels like Oscarson is against the politically correct culture, she's giving the Mormon flavor of what you'd typically hear coming from the ultra conservative right. I can't say that I've ever heard someone in an official capacity talk about single women and infertile couples in a way that elevates them above the one size fits all family narrative. It's rare to even hear about them at all and yet when we finally do speak of them from the general conference pulpit it is to remind everyone how they do not measure up to the ideal. It was a bad talk.

The church should be grateful that some people don't share their opinions out of respect and a desire not to offend the saints. :twisted:
— Hippocrates

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 25 Sep 2016, 10:01

hawkgrrrl wrote:Including the 8 year olds is because women are seen as children and since there's only one thing for women to do in this life (give birth to priesthood holders) why not include them from age 8 on up?
That may be our reason but I just can't picture the Q15 sitting around a large table and using that as their justification. What is their reason?
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Sep 2016, 12:57

hawkgrrrl wrote:If we spent the amount of time talking about things Jesus actually talked about, maybe we'd win more converts and improve more lives. People aren't avoiding marriage and children because we aren't talking about it enough.
:thumbup: This is my dream. There's that other thread where we're asked what would really flip the switch for each of us to love the church. For me this is it. Talk about the gospel Christ talked about. He spent three years talking about it, surely there's enough material there for us to fill 11 1/2 hours.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 25 Sep 2016, 13:15

DH has a friend who converted to the church and then left it. He decided to be rebaptized 18 months ago. DH did the dunking. We all went out for brunch afterwards. It was odd to be involved as he was celebrating re-baptism while I was questioning my faith in the church.

Friend moved to SLC later due to employment. These past few months, Uchtdorf has been meeting with this friend. Uchtdorf told friend that he wanted to use part of friend's story for this conference session.

I am curious to see if Uchtdorf uses friend's story and in what capacity.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 25 Sep 2016, 17:12

It's crazy when different people hear the same thing and take different ideas from it. This post appeared in a liberal friend of mine's facebook.
I loved tonight's #womensmeeting focused Jesus Christ instead of on the family/nurturing/roles. Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but I worship Jesus
I am like, huh. Yes he was referenced but I heard more of Nibbler's take - Morm with those that Morm.

I have had to spend all day rehearsing Chieko Okazaki to keep myself balanced.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 26 Sep 2016, 00:28

nibbler wrote:It's mourn with those who mourn, not Morm with those who Morm.
Love it! :thumbup: :clap:
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014