April 2016 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: April 2016 General Conference

Post by Roy » 05 Apr 2016, 10:36

TataniaAvalon wrote:I missed the entire conference didn't even try to listen though I had the chance. Besides DFU any other really outstanding talks I should read? It sounds like a lot had good and bad parts. It seems though the conference was meh overall.
I think I am in pretty much the same boat. I do not believe the church leaders are oracles of God but rather good people doing their best to run things and give good advice. How many hours of good advice can I sit through? I do not watch CSPAN either. Just tell me when the congress passes legislation and how it might affect me. I therefore really appreciate these StayLDS conference recaps.
GBSmith wrote:One person's "meh" is another's (what's the opposite of meh?)...
The opposite of "meh" is "Yeah, Baby, Yeah!" :mrgreen:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 05 Apr 2016, 11:20

TataniaAvalon wrote:I missed the entire conference didn't even try to listen though I had the chance. Besides DFU any other really outstanding talks I should read?
There was a striking moment that I don't think should be missed. But you have to watch it, not read it. And you have to watch the full conference video, not the excerpted talk.

Here is the link to download the "small" version of the session, but be aware that is is over 800MB, so may take some time: https://d1e635tdewwzdn.cloudfront.net/a ... nload=true

Elder Kearon's talk in the Sunday Afternoon Session was moving. Again, watch the full conference broadcast not just talk by itself. He starts speaking at about 36:50 into the broacast. It's a topic that falls exactly into the category of messages that we've always said at StayLDS we wanted to hear in GC but have been sorely lacking. He never mentioned JS, the Gold Plates, the Restoration, the Priesthood, the Old Ship Zion. He quoted two scriptures (as I recall), both from the New Testament. He spoke of the need to help refugees. What made this more powerful than just the talk on its own is that Elder Kearon spoke about how some refugees will go on to great contributions to society as scientists, physicians, artists, religious leaders, etc. At the conclusion of the talk, DFU stood, as it was his duty to conduct the session. He was quite emotional. DFU, himself, was a refugee as a child, but was old enough then to be able to remember. And now, he stood at the pulpit; a member of the Church's First Presidency. I can only imagine what was going through his mind. The combination of Elder Kearon's words and DFU's emotion, made for one of the greatest GC moments I can recall.
Last edited by On Own Now on 05 Apr 2016, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 05 Apr 2016, 11:21

The Powerful Story Behind The Choir Member Who Cried at Conference

http://www.ldsdaily.com/personal-lds-bl ... onference/

I'm sure many of you saw this man weeping during the very moving rendition of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" in the Saturday morning session. This article shares a little more of the story behind this man's tears. I too was touched by the music in these conference sessions. Mac Wilberg is a master.
“It is as if he has bottled my Savior’s love, condensed it into the sweetest nectar, and I get to drink it.”
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

mom3

Post by mom3 » 05 Apr 2016, 12:57

At the conclusion of the talk, DFU stood, as it was his duty to conduct the session. He was quite emotional. DFU, himself, was a refugee as a child, but was old enough then to be able to remember. And now, he stood at the pulpit; a member of the Church's First Presidency. I can only imagine what was going through his mind. The combination of Elder Kearon's words and DFU's emotion, made for one of the greatest GC moments I can recall.
On Own - I was already crying through Kearon's address and about to walk away when DFU walked up to conduct, at first I wondered if I was projecting my emotions to him, but as he kept going it was clear he was moved beyond words. After that I turned off the session. I wanted to savor the joy and emotions I was experiencing and had just watched.

Faithful Skeptic -
“It is as if he has bottled my Savior’s love, condensed it into the sweetest nectar, and I get to drink it.”
I may beat this horse dead, but I so believe if the leadership spent more hours creating these moments for each of us we would not only cry as he did, but we wouldn't need all the other lectures. We also wouldn't need a rescue program. Love would win every time. Thanks for sharing his story. It was beautiful.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 05 Apr 2016, 15:10

kate5 wrote:Shawn, Pres. Uchtdorf mentioned it very briefly during his Priesthood session talk. He was talking about happiness and he stated that except for some forms of chronic depression that need to be treated, we are in charge of our own happiness. Maybe that was the one you were looking for. I like that he made that exception before he started lumping everyone into the "how to be happy model". I really loved that talk.
Thanks, kate5! I thought it was Brother Uchtdorf who said it, so I listened to his Sunday morning talk three times yesterday and didn't hear it. I thought I was crazy or his talk got edited :roll:

I like that he is aware of how depression can affect people. However, I am very disenchanted by the idea that God/the Gospel/Holy Ghost are not powerful enough to penetrate depression. Anyway, that's been discussed on other threads. Thanks again.

Joni

Post by Joni » 05 Apr 2016, 15:49

Katzpur wrote:
Joni wrote:My only issue with JRH's talk is that I have personal knowledge that God doesn't love me, and there are really no good answers to that. And it's not the kind of thing that you expect to hear addressed from the GC pulpit. But it still stings a little to hear an apostle declare how much God loves His children and know it doesn't apply to me. :eh:
Wow! I'm surprised to hear this. Maybe others on the forum know you better and know why you feel this way, but I can't believe that God doesn't love you. Why on earth wouldn't He? That makes me feel so bad!
The short version is, I went to the temple, sat in the celestial room and poured out my heart to Heavenly Father, I asked Him if He loved me and He said "no." I wouldn't believe that such a thing was possible if I hadn't experienced it myself. My husband doesn't believe me when I tell him what I felt. And I'm sure that Elder Holland was sincere when he said "God loves everybody." It was just a jarring moment of cog. diss. in an otherwise great talk. Because I could tell that Holland really felt what he was saying - yet that doesn't override my own personal experience.

I find Holland to be really polarizing, I either love his talks or don't care for them. I loved this one, velociraptor and all. (Actually I think it was a T. rex. Any paleontologists on StayLDS?) And I want to believe that God loves me, as Holland has mentioned in many of his talks, I just happen to know otherwise.

For me, this conference got off to kind of a slow start (I missed the Women's Session but I heard it was great) but really ramped up towards the end. Uchtdorf gave not one, but two classic talks. Elder Holland gave a great capstone to the weekend.

Joni

Post by Joni » 05 Apr 2016, 15:53

Minyan Man wrote:Regarding dissenting votes during General Conference, this is an interesting article.
The comments posted to it were interesting too.

http://www.ldsliving.com/Dissenting-Vot ... ow/s/78523
Now I want to know what John W. Taylor said about the choir that made them stand up and oppose him during conference. :twisted:

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 05 Apr 2016, 17:35

Joni wrote:The short version is, I went to the temple, sat in the celestial room and poured out my heart to Heavenly Father, I asked Him if He loved me and He said "no." I wouldn't believe that such a thing was possible if I hadn't experienced it myself. My husband doesn't believe me when I tell him what I felt. And I'm sure that Elder Holland was sincere when he said "God loves everybody." It was just a jarring moment of cog. diss. in an otherwise great talk. Because I could tell that Holland really felt what he was saying - yet that doesn't override my own personal experience.
Well, I'm certainly not in a position to tell you what you heard, because I'm not you. About all I can really say is that there have been times in my life when I've been absolutely positive that I heard someone say one thing and the person is every bit as insistent that he DID NOT SAY THAT! So, I hope you'll at least consider that possibility.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Apr 2016, 18:08

Joni wrote:Now I want to know what John W. Taylor said about the choir that made them stand up and oppose him during conference. :twisted:
The remarks supposedly came from a general conference session held on October 7, 1898. Here's links to the talk:

http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compou ... 545/rec/18
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

The offending comments are right there on page 1.
I was informed by a lady in Salt Lake who keeps a rooming house, that after the close of practices by the Tabernacle choir, several members come to her rooming house for immoral purposes.
Juicy.

After skimming this entire talk... you think conference addresses are bad now, you don't know nuthin'. :lol:
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 05 Apr 2016, 18:21

I think I had a time that I FELT God didn't love me, but I never felt like he TOLD me that. I don't want to be an armchair therapist but I have to say that I wonder if depression is playing a part. I would suggest you check with a therapist just to rule that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk