Following the Brethren

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
LIP

Following the Brethren

Post by LIP » 24 Jan 2016, 11:22

My bishop this morning in sacrament meeting: If the prophet said that, from now on, we should all wear turbans, I would go right out and get a turban!

Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

nibbler

Re: Following the Brethren

Post by nibbler » 24 Jan 2016, 11:42

I see it as the bishop communicating his level of faith in the restored church and in his willingness to be obedient. I've made similar statements in the past except my example was always purple ties. If the prophet says we should only wear purple ties then I'll only wear purple ties. When I said that it was shorthand for saying:

1) My understanding is limited. I don't understand why we should only wear purple ties but the lord said his ways aren't my ways.
2) I have complete faith that the prophet speaks for god.
3) I am willing to be obedient, even to the things I do not yet understand.

The comments made by your bishop are limited to your bishop. Everyone gets to decide those things for themselves.

As a side note. If the prophet were to actually say from now on we should all wear turbans I'd open up a turban store in Utah... and only wear the turban when I'm working in the store. :twisted:
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jan 2016, 15:05

I agree with Nibbler (which you might have figured out is not all that unusual) and he and I might have a race to see who can open his turban store first. :P I do think it was probably your bishop's way of expressing his faith that this is God's church directed by God's prophets. In truth, he wouldn't be alone at my turban store the next day - it would be very similar to the one set of earrings thing for most members. The good news: God isn't going to tell his prophet we need to wear turbans (a safe and comforting bet). The bad news: that might not prevent a prophet from saying we're all supposed to wear turbans. Another perspective: Who'd have thunk God would tell his prophet only one set of earrings?

Side note one: If the prophet said so I might be inclined to go for a kippa (yarmulke), much easier to wear than a turban and you can even have a Mets logo on it if you want. :thumbup:

Side note 2: We got the "Ensign is scripture for our day" line today. :roll:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 24 Jan 2016, 15:56

DarkJedi wrote:Side note one: If the prophet said so I might be inclined to go for a kippa (yarmulke), much easier to wear than a turban and you can even have a Mets logo on it if you want. :thumbup:
The Mets? Seriously? :D
DarkJedi wrote:Side note 2: We got the "Ensign is scripture for our day" line today. :roll:
We had the first 2 speakers really give some great basic talks about how to be a better human, then the concluding speaker started going off into more Abrahamic sacrifices needed to be right before God. Sigh.

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 24 Jan 2016, 16:10

That is his right, and it is my right to disagree.

We had Ward Conference today. Wonderful messages of love, serving God and humanity, compassion, forgiveness and the Sabbath - with a focus on personally-defined holiness and explicitly avoiding lists and judging others.

The first speaker used Elder Wirthlin's "Concern for the One" as her core reference, so I was ecstatic. She talked about being teased unmercifully as a young child and knowing what it feels like to be different, and our Stake President (a pretty orthodox but good man) mentioned how bad he feels decades later about being one of the kids who participated in teasing someone who was different.

Also, I was released from the High Council today, and that same Stake President told me how much he enjoyed the different perspective my comments brought to the group - and that he only agreed to release me because he believes my new ward calling (about which I don't know details yet) is where I need to be right now. I will find out Wednesday what it is.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 25 Jan 2016, 09:35

I had an institute instructor that had a lesson for his family. If the prophet said to burn down their house, then the kids knew that their job was to go retrieve the family photo albums before the conflagration.

It was of course a metaphor for his commitment to the church and restored plan of salvation. The reasoning goes that if God can command us to do things that go against our conscience ... like kill or take an additional wife...then we should be willing to do whatever is commanded. Obedience is the most important characteristic.

He was a good man confident that he would never be led astray.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

meggle

Post by meggle » 25 Jan 2016, 10:58

Funny, the one earring thing was brought up yesterday in RS, and I made the sister who brought it up cry when I pointed out the three earrings in my left ear and said that I don't think Heavenly Father cares much one way or the other.
Full disclosure, she was crying because she thought she made me feel judged, and felt really bad. Consequently I felt really bad and apologized profusely for making HER feel bad.
After that I was tired and wondered (once again) if I actually belong in church.