Personal Note

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Meh Mormon

Re: Personal Note

Post by Meh Mormon » 25 Nov 2015, 06:52

Sorry for your loss Ray.

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 25 Nov 2015, 07:47

So sorry Ray. Positive thoughts, virtual hugs and a virtual casserole sent your way. We'll be thinking of you.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

Ann

Post by Ann » 25 Nov 2015, 13:41

Ray DeGraw wrote:My parents were ordinary heroes, and I will treasure my association with them forever.
Thanks for sharing your stories of them with us. I'm sorry, and hope this weekend will be bitter with the sweet for your family.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Nov 2015, 19:55

Thank you, everyone.

I finished writing the obituary today - an interesting experience. She was a remarkable woman - seriously the most gentle person I have met in my life. I never heard her raise her voice in anger or frustration, and everyone I know says the same thing. She is the only person I know who is mentioned in someone else's Patriarchal Blessing by name, where the other person is told to listen to her always, since she will never lead that person astray.

More than anything else, she loved and accepted me completely and unconditionally. I was not unique in that regard, but it still meant and means the world to me.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 26 Nov 2015, 05:49

My condolences. My father in law passed away early this year at 84. Its a natural process but still hard to cope with.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Nov 2015, 23:10

Among the people at the viewing tonight were my mom's two living sisters and my youngest sister.

With my mom, that represented a total of about 19' of awesomeness.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Dec 2015, 11:11

Ray wrote
She was a remarkable woman - seriously the most gentle person I have met in my life. I never heard her raise her voice in anger or frustration, and everyone I know says the same thing. She is the only person I know who is mentioned in someone else's Patriarchal Blessing by name, where the other person is told to listen to her always, since she will never lead that person astray.
Wow. This words hit a nerve in me. Thank you.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman