Another Kirby Good One - He is so us

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Another Kirby Good One - He is so us

Post by mom3 » 04 Sep 2015, 21:34

"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

LookingHard

Re: Another Kirby Good One - He is so us

Post by LookingHard » 05 Sep 2015, 04:02

I so much want to come out to my wife that I feel most of church is BORING me to death. I work really hard all week long with lots of hours at work and I have tons of stuff I want to do. And to me Gospel Doctrine isn't great, but get to High Priests and the <dozen people there and most of them don't even pay attention to the lesson - with the exception of the one guy that LOVES the sound of his own voice and usually talks more than the teacher - only to be interrupted by the guy who has mental and memory issues.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Sep 2015, 15:52

I'd love to tell the leadership my true feelings about how boring SS and PH are. It's not that I'm never uplifted in either of those meetings, but there are far more boring ones than uplifting ones.

I didn't realize before that Kirby's wife doesn't attend with him. Does she not go at all or does she have some other reason?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

GBSmith

Post by GBSmith » 05 Sep 2015, 17:05

As SS president and Gospel Doctrine teacher I'm starting to feel really bad. :eh:

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 05 Sep 2015, 18:44

I send food with DH for HP group. Attendance improved drastically when treats arrived.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 05 Sep 2015, 18:59

I love the article. The part about topics that matter, such as discipline, conflict resolution = yes!! That is what we need. I am tired of the materials that are meant to make you strong in doctrine and try to turn you into good Mormons. The title of the article -- akin to "I will attend SS when it is more interesting" is a great title.

And one thing that gets me -- how many members respond when you express just how incredibly boring church is after you've been doing it for 20 or 30 years (or even 3 years). They put the onus on you to find ways of enjoying it rather than addressing the problem -- too many unprepared, or incapable teachers. They make you out as selfish or heathen because you are not Polyanna about it.

Sure, people are there to grow, and we should support people who are growing. But there needs to be balance -- some really good teachers interspersed with the weak ones. There are some lessons where, when I know a particular teacher is teaching, I am into it. Others, as soon as they stand up there I know it's time to pull out the Kindle.

Teaching is 90% of what we do on Sunday. As a church, we should be good at it -- and if we aren't good at it, have structures in place that help people become excellent teachers. At one time I was a Teacher Improvement Coordinator and was amazed that a) they canned the position after a couple years and b) how many of the teachers didn't want to help because they hated teaching. A lot of them told me that. So, I left them alone.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 15 Sep 2015, 05:52

Yeah, more often than not Sunday School (and PH) lessons aren't interesting. I don't "blame" (that's far too harsh of a word, but I've got to use it for now) the teachers. A poor craftsman blames his tools and all that but I feel as though this is what happens when the insistence is to only teach from materials that have tCoJCoLDS stamped on the back. I've read those materials, they were nice, what else do you have?

Personally I'd like to see more discussion in our lessons. I realize this doesn't always work, in fact more often than not people in the lesson are a bit too timid to maintain a lively discussion.

My experience? A teacher will ask a question and most people are too afraid to answer just in case they get the answer wrong. Even when the questions are banal and the answer is obvious. When a teacher is met with silence after asking a simple question the tendency is to stop asking questions. I've taught lessons, I know how it is. Long moments of silence are a death knell.

Here's a thought. Have a Sunday School where the teacher asks the students what topic they want to cover the next week. Make it personal. Making it personal will keep people interested.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Ann

Post by Ann » 15 Sep 2015, 12:50

nibbler wrote:I've read those materials, they were nice, what else do you have?
Nibbler, you crack me up.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 16 Sep 2015, 11:12

Loved that Kirby article, posted it to my FB page.

I told DW that if I go inactive it will be from pure boredom (the last month has been excruciating).