Dalai Lama: "if science is found to contradict a basic tenet

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
startpoor

Dalai Lama: "if science is found to contradict a basic tenet

Post by startpoor » 12 May 2015, 10:57

Of all the Christian Faiths out there, mormonism should have the most room to say something like this. Yet, somehow I don't see this happening ;)
I think most of us here adjust our faith in the light of scientific reason, but is this a good path for religions to walk? What would religion lose, if anything, by taking this route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.

mom3

Re: Dalai Lama: "if science is found to contradict a basic t

Post by mom3 » 12 May 2015, 11:38

I am thinking this one through. I have long been a strange Mormon because I can see the creation and the Big Bang Theory working side by side. I will give other questions some brain time and get back to you. It's a good topic.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 12 May 2015, 12:12

And yet E. Nelson mocked the big bang theory openly in 2012 General Conference, one of several things that convinced my son that Mormonism, being anti-science, wasn't for him.

GBSmith

Post by GBSmith » 12 May 2015, 12:20

It's hard when people are expected to believe in spite of what they're taught.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 12 May 2015, 12:21

And yet E. Nelson mocked the big bang theory openly in 2012 General Conference, one of several things that convinced my son that Mormonism, being anti-science, wasn't for him.
D--n.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 May 2015, 12:41

mom3 wrote:I have long been a strange Mormon because I can see the creation and the Big Bang Theory working side by side.
I'm with you. I can look at a picture of a nebula and fathom the stars and planets being created there - and it fits so perfectly with the idea of a Creator God for me. When physicists speak of us being made of star stuff, it rings true to me.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 12 May 2015, 13:15

hawkgrrrl wrote:And yet E. Nelson mocked the big bang theory openly in 2012 General Conference, one of several things that convinced my son that Mormonism, being anti-science, wasn't for him.
DBMormon / Bill Reel just released a podcast where I think it was a Christian 'philosopher' was talking about the flood and he was making the point that if Christianity requires that people believe the flood story as literal, then real true scientists will have to reject Christianity. I think the same is true in the church.

I am fully in the camp of God and nature/science are beautifully intertwined. I feel the most like telling God, "Cool!" when I look at the night sky on lake Powell.

Watch your mouth mom! :D

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 May 2015, 13:41

What must we give up?

Lieteralism

Not much, if anything, else.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 12 May 2015, 13:48

hawkgrrrl wrote:And yet E. Nelson mocked the big bang theory openly in 2012 General Conference

What?? He probably doesn't even watch it!!!! ;)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 May 2015, 14:18

Sheldon is officially nominated for comment of the week.

There have been some other really good ones, but spit takes exist because of comments like that last one. :thumbup: :lol:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken