Saying Good-bye to Richard G. Scott

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Saying Good-bye to Richard G. Scott

Post by mom3 » 08 May 2015, 20:56

He hasn't passed away yet, but his health has declined enough that he will no longer be participating. I am going to miss him. I loved that he loved and married only one woman. I always choked up when he spoke about her and the impact she had on his life. Many of life lessons were calming and gentle. He was never a pulpit pounder. He often put me to sleep when he spoke, but I liked to read his messages. As much as I will miss him, I pray Godspeed that he will go home to his beautiful wife quickly.

http://fox13now.com/2015/05/08/lds-chur ... rticipate/
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ilovechrist77

Re: Saying Good-bye to Richard G. Scott

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 08 May 2015, 21:14

Thank you for sharing, mom3. I will keep Scott in my prayers. I'm glad Perry is doing better, but I would hate to have to say good-bye Scott so soon.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 09 May 2015, 05:45

In his early days as an apostle, Elder Scott nearly always gave a talk on compassion, charity, hope...some topic like that. More lately he seemed to veer into other areas but I always think of him as "the nice Apostle". He seems like a truly nice man and it seems a shame that anyone has to prepare to leave this life by experiencing dementia.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

startpoor

Post by startpoor » 09 May 2015, 08:28

I met Scott in person twice, and was shocked to find just how different he was when speaking at a local meeting. None of the dry, uber serious talks like he is known for at GC. The talks he gave were touching, witty, and funny. No talk of chastity, just stories of inspirational people putting others before self. I wish more people got to see this side of him. I will miss him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 09 May 2015, 10:00

I like that the church is being fairly upfront about this. I don't recall that being the case in the past, they generally just didn't address it at all.

Elder Scott's not one of my favorites, but he's not one of my least favorites, either. With the age of the current bunch, there will be more like this in the near future.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 May 2015, 16:17

Thank you for this. Above all else, I love his heart and gentle soul.

A public recognition of this type of condition could be the first step toward establishing an emeritus status. I won't demand or expect that, but I would love to see it happen.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 May 2015, 08:23

He's a good guy.

My first impression of him was set while I was in the MTC. There was some kind of conference or other for all the missionaries, I remember it being broadcast, but maybe it was just broadcast to other rooms in the MTC, I digress.

During the conference E. Scott played the role of justice cop and E. Holland played the role of mercy cop. Scott spoke first, broke me down, I seriously didn't think salvation was remotely possible after that talk. Holland then spoke and build me up. He rekindled that hope for eternal life. ;) Some might look at that and call it a psychological tactic, but I've never felt that to be the case. I'm just stating my reaction to their talks. Someone else is going to come away from that meeting with a different story.

That initial impression of those two would last years. I didn't view Scott as a bully or in any negative light whatsoever, he was more stern than anything. He was the embodiment of "I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance."

He'd later come visit us in the mission field and I remember him following a similar approach. He spoke as one with authority, and comfortably so. I imagine he was very confident in his mantle as an apostle. He had a lot of faith in his stewardship and took the responsibility seriously. I've got to admire him for that.

It's nice to read about the softer side of E. Scott from you all. I remember conference talks where he gently encouraged people to follow Christ. He did have some tenderness about him but the impressions made during those intimate meetings with him would win out. Of course he was speaking to a body of teenagers in the mission field, that's a very targeted group. That group isn't going to get the same messages as the people attending a stake conference.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Yonni

Post by Yonni » 14 May 2015, 07:12

Ray DeGraw wrote:Thank you for this. Above all else, I love his heart and gentle soul.

A public recognition of this type of condition could be the first step toward establishing an emeritus status. I won't demand or expect that, but I would love to see it happen.
As a Nurse this strikes a cord, I would love to see emeritus status, it's the merciful thing to do.

As a missionary I was able to attend 2 of the first sessions of GC in the conference center, Elder Scott came to talk to the audience after the second session, shake hands, meet people, he was very polite and didn't have the "air" of authority, much respect was gained that day. (Yup I served in the Utah SLC mission)

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 14 May 2015, 08:47

DarkJedi wrote:I like that the church is being fairly upfront about this. I don't recall that being the case in the past, they generally just didn't address it at all.
This is another win for the Internet!! Can you imagine what it would have been like if the internet was around during ETB's decline?

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 May 2015, 09:02

Sheldon wrote:
DarkJedi wrote:I like that the church is being fairly upfront about this. I don't recall that being the case in the past, they generally just didn't address it at all.
This is another win for the Internet!! Can you imagine what it would have been like if the internet was around during ETB's decline?
That is exactly where I'm coming from, Sheldon. I do remember SWK and ETB and the kinds of things the church did to try to hide the fact they were in decline. I think they literally propped them in the chairs at GC a couple times just so they'd be in attendance at conference, yet they didn't speak and were clearly unable to. It wasn't until that became too obvious that they would say things like they were watching from their apartments. Those of us who have had parents and grandparents go through similar declines are very aware that they likely weren't watching at all because they didn't even know who or where they were by then. I mean no offense by this - I did like Pres. Kimball for the most part, and I do have respect for Pres. Benson. Age related decline is just a fact of life for many, though - why try to make it seem like that's not what happening? I think perhaps Elder Nelson's October conference address about sustaining the prophets was a start to addressing this issue, and more especially as it continues with Pres. Monson. The church does operate as it should with an incompetent president, and it has done it for years in the past (although less than half of the current membership will know that).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction