Questions vs. Doubts or Questions vs. Questions

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: Questions vs. Doubts or Questions vs. Questions

Post by nibbler » 18 Mar 2015, 10:35

I have a good internal chuckle when people poke fun at Hyrum Page for thinking he could get revelations out of a rock. I don't go the full distance but I usually make a comment along the lines of it sounding unusual to us today but in those days it was commonplace.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 28 Mar 2015, 21:51

I applaud the author for looking at it from a faith promoting viewpoint, but those who are in the middle of a real faith crisis might not get much out of it

LDS Scoutmaster, you nailed it. I read the article and felt insulted. Although I recognize the author was trying to state that questions and concerns need to be approached from the certain spiritual happy place, the reality is that I want real solid answers. I don't want answers that only work if I am feeling especially in touch with the Lord. I want answers that can stand the harsh light of full noon sun. I want real answers to hard questions.

The article essentially was telling people like me to quit being angry, quit looking for answers, put on a happy face, inquire sweetly, and accept whatever pablum they feel like spooning us.

I took the magazine, and ended up Frisbee-ing it across the room.

And yet .. Things must be tough if the leadership is even acknowledging the questioning is occurring.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Mar 2015, 06:39

The author is a regular member. It is standard practice to publish things that are submitted by regular members. It happens all the time, and there are good and bad examples.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 29 Mar 2015, 10:09

sue wrote:"One problem with doubt is the intent to obey only after the uncertainty is resolved to the satisfaction of the doubter."...I did not intend to quit obeying certain rules of the church, it just so happened that i don't agree with them and/or i question the validity of them.

I walk a line on what I share / what topics I counter at church - but this is one that I speak up for every time. There are cases where some just want to sin, but do NOT assume everyone that is struggling is just wanting to sin. I clearly state, "I can personally testify that this is not true."
sue wrote:"Likewise, if you seek an answer to a spiritual question from the Source of all knowledge, then you have to follow His rules to get the answer. This process requires at least a desire to understand the truth and a willingness to follow God’s will"...this statement bothers me for the simple reason i feel like i'm being told that if i'm not getting the answer i desire or need that it's because im being bad and not behaving, i don't agree with this.
I have concerns about this issue. I know and I know God knows my heart. The prophet himself could say this to me and I really don't think I would be too fazed as I KNOW what is in my heart and what I am trying to figure out. My most strident prayer I have ever given was me pleading to know, "With all this new information (now that I know it is actually true) are you trying to tell me that you want me to leave the Mormon church? If so, please hit me on the head even harder as you have my attention, but I don't have any good feelings on what my next step is" with probably a lot more "please!" in there.