Not angry, just done - fMh polygamy post

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Ann

Re: Not angry, just done - fMh polygamy post

Post by Ann » 26 Aug 2016, 07:16

I wonder how much overlap or communication there is between FAIR and the essay writers.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Aug 2016, 09:04

A decent amount, I think, Ann.

I know some people at the new FAIR, and I respect them a lot. I also know a couple of the newer, younger people who work for the Church Historical Depraptment, and I respect them, as well.

This is not the FAIR of a few years ago. I hope it sticks.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 26 Aug 2016, 09:08

I would have to say that the newer FAIR so far isn't resolving my issues, but at least now they are arguing for less judgement against those that have questions or don't believe.

So I no longer see them as part of the problem and maybe for some they can be a solution.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 26 Aug 2016, 17:14

I am not a fan of FAIR, by the way. My post was kind of saying "Look, even this super biased apologist doesn't support the notion that Henry abandoned his family." While I do think William Hall's account doesn't have much support, Zina's story is ugly all over the place and reading about it even from the perspective of an apologist is enough for me to deplore Mormon polygamy.

Ann

Post by Ann » 27 Aug 2016, 07:00

Shawn, Sorry, I knew that was what you meant and I think it's what I'm saying, too. That the story, taken as a whole, is ugly all over the place. And straining to pick those few cherries where it wasn't ... kind of infuriating, or demoralizing, depending on the day.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 27 Aug 2016, 12:27

Ann, there's no need to apologize. :smile: