October 2014 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
West

Re: October 2014 General Conference

Post by West » 05 Oct 2014, 10:08

Just caught the last half of McConkie's talk. I really struggled with that one. I ended up not paying attention to a lot of it, so not entirely sure what she said.

Jumping back to yesterday, definitely recommend Holland's talk to everyone. Of course, that was one of the few I caught, so I can't really compare, but it definitely is a highlight of conference for me.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 10:15

Elder Hales' talk was a very good, basic testimony of Jesus and of God's love. It was a great break from the previous talks this session.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 10:21

This is another very good talk about the sacrament.

I really like that Elder Hamula extended the application of the water representing Jesus' blood beyond Gethsemane - that he included ALL the blood that was shed throughout the garden, the trial and the cross.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 10:45

President Monson's talk is wonderful. I really love that man.

The sentence that is going to show up on Facebook and other online places is:
Walking where (Jesus) walked is less important than walking AS he walked.

TataniaAvalon

Post by TataniaAvalon » 05 Oct 2014, 10:52

The ONLY talk I enjoyed from this session was Pres Monson it ended the session beautifully. Pres. Eyring was okay as was the one on the sacrament. Mostly I think I'll just pass on this session.

Btw I love how they're all ending early. I vote we take this practice into our regular Sunday meetings!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 10:54

This session is a good example of opposition in all things. First half was difficult (or worse); second half was excellent; closing talk was exceptional (my wife said it might be her favorite talk ever from President Monson).

Two very different "spirits" felt by lots of people in the same session, I know.

bridget_night

Post by bridget_night » 05 Oct 2014, 10:55

Just read that Br. Oaks has a gay grandson....wonder if that will start him rethinking things.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Oct 2014, 10:56

The closing hymn was nice.

There was also a nice subtle unspoken thing at the very end of the broadcast. The Q15 walking offstage with their DW's hand in hand. Thought I might point that out as that's the first time I've noticed.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 10:59

bridget, read his talk. He took the extreme position on not supporting same-sex marriage - but he said we need to accept it and be gracious if it becomes the law of the land, and I think it's an acknowledgment that it will become the law of the land.

That is not a small step for a statement over the General Conference pulpit.

West

Post by West » 05 Oct 2014, 11:35

Ray DeGraw wrote:President Monson's talk is wonderful. I really love that man.

The sentence that is going to show up on Facebook and other online places is:
Walking where (Jesus) walked is less important than walking AS he walked.
Indeed, it has already begun.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran