October 2014 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: October 2014 General Conference

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 09:11

It probably is a good idea for a lot of people her to view Elder Oaks' talk as two talks. The first one was rough, but the second one was really good.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Oct 2014, 09:15

President Eyring is off to a great start
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 05 Oct 2014, 09:27

I had to work yesterday so only caught bits and pieces.

I didn't find Priesthood session particularly inspiring. I did like Elder Eyrings talk about mentoring and caring for others (which is how i took the message).

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 05 Oct 2014, 09:36

Cool story about President Kimball by Elder Nelson. Not sure I'm digging the whole Follow The Prophet theme though.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Oct 2014, 09:38

Ugh. Someone turn this ship around.

So far this session is all about prophets, some statements even implying infallibility.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 09:43

President Eyring was clear about spheres of revelation, which I appreciate.

Elder Nelson seems to be addressing the issue of President Monson's health. Frankly, that's a good thing - and it's critical, I think, to recognize that base.

Also, fwiw nibbler, I haven't heard any reference to or implications about infallibility.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Oct 2014, 09:45

If I still care by the time this talk comes out in print maybe I'll point them out to you.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 09:45

The previous sessions focused a LOT on Jesus; this session is focusing a LOT on prophets. I'd recommend some of you skipping much of this.

Again, however, I think it's important to put it in perspective. There has been a lot of chatter online about President Monson starting to suffer from dementia, and I think quite a bit of this is emotional reaction to that criticism they hear and read.

nibbler, I know the references you mean, but I just don't read them as stating infallibility. It's cool; we all see and hear things differently.

TataniaAvalon

Post by TataniaAvalon » 05 Oct 2014, 09:51

Two talks in a row about following the prophet sigh. I think most TMB's will find strength in these talks but not us. Perhaps it is in response to Pres. Monson's failing health but still....,:-(

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 09:52

Sister McConkie's talk absolutely has strains nearing infallibility. This is one that pretty much everyone here might want to skip.