October 2014 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: October 2014 General Conference

Post by nibbler » 04 Oct 2014, 14:31

Yeah, Holland's talk is the best of the session.

And yes, mom3, this was the ouch session. At least the first half.

Seriously. Jeffrey Holland, thanks for helping me pull it back together. :thumbup:
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Oct 2014, 15:01

Amen Elder Holland - your words are exactly where my heart lies. This session just left ouch and moved to rejoice.
:D :D
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Oct 2014, 15:07

For Me today's tally is thus -

Holland, Packer, Esplin, Perry, Oaks, Uchtdorf. Going back to listen to Holland one more time.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

jaboc84

Post by jaboc84 » 04 Oct 2014, 15:17

Really liked Elder Holland's talk too, very raw and from the heart. I agree with other's comments about the JS talk as well.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Oct 2014, 17:24

Going out on a limb here, but I'm thinking most here will want to give Cook a miss. I'm not sure that's a surprise.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Francoise2900

Post by Francoise2900 » 04 Oct 2014, 18:18

Great to get these reviews before actually seeing the talks! We enjoyed a granddaughter today--went out to brunch then a Farmer's Market. Then a nap. Tonight I'll go back and watch the highest-reviewed talks lst!!

Ann

Post by Ann » 04 Oct 2014, 21:18

Ray DeGraw wrote:Elder Anderson's talk was a very traditional view of Joseph. That says it all.
This one was a big disappointment.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

NewLight

Post by NewLight » 05 Oct 2014, 05:16

How about that choir from the Tooele Valley in the second session? Didn't Brother NewLight really add to it?! Seriously though, being in the choir was a great experience – to me the sermons of Christ taught through music are VERY powerful and oftentimes a welcome break from a difficult talk. Thankfully, I remembered the words to “Redeemer of Israel” in order as that could have been embarrassing if I didn't.

Thumbs up on Elder Holland's talk about helping the poor. By the end of it, I was seriously asking myself what more I could do to help out. Thumbs down on the Joseph Smith talk, for the same reason many of you shared. The irony of mentioning the Internet's lack of a “truth filter” (referring to our critics) while the Church struggles to disclose the truth behind its decades long sparkling clean correlated history (much of it at lds.org) can be amusing.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Oct 2014, 05:31

NewLight wrote:How about that choir from the Tooele Valley in the second session? Didn't Brother NewLight really add to it?! Seriously though, being in the choir was a great experience – to me the sermons of Christ taught through music are VERY powerful and oftentimes a welcome break from a difficult talk. Thankfully, I remembered the words to “Redeemer of Israel” in order as that could have been embarrassing if I didn't.

Thumbs up on Elder Holland's talk about helping the poor. By the end of it, I was seriously asking myself what more I could do to help out. Thumbs down on the Joseph Smith talk, for the same reason many of you shared. The irony of mentioning the Internet's lack of a “truth filter” (referring to our critics) while the Church struggles to disclose the truth behind its decades long sparkling clean correlated history (much of it at lds.org) can be amusing.
Cool that you were there. I agree, music is often a better sermon than what is said in the actual sermons.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

TataniaAvalon

Post by TataniaAvalon » 05 Oct 2014, 08:55

I was at work for the second sat afternoon session but I did catch bits and pieces including the cringe worthy ones. Why couldn't my radio have fuzzed out then? I was upset by Elder Oaks (?) talk about how the law of the land isn't always right especially gay rights. Way to offend tons of people though if I remember right he usually has a fire and brimstone talk. I also caught the JS one, again sigh. But I absolutely loved the one in Spanish about Christ like service, and Elder Holland (?) about helping the poor. That one really hit home for me as DH and I are currently receiving help from TNT church. Anyways let's hope this morning is better. How did the mens session go?